Web Wiz - Solar Powered Eco Web Hosting

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ASP script handler in IIS7/Vista

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hyarmion View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hyarmion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ASP script handler in IIS7/Vista
    Posted: 03 November 2008 at 3:30am
I successfully got IIS 5.1 installed and running ASP scripts on my old XP Pro machine, but I have just moved to a Vista machine. I have installed II 7, but when I try to run an ASP script it tells me I need to set up a script handler for ASP. I had a look around on the MS Help websites and found out how to add a script handler but do not know how to add one specific to ASP (I think I need to do something with asp.dll, but I not sure what). Has anyone set Vista and IIS to run ASP?
socialanimal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote socialanimal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2008 at 3:40am
Vista does not have ASP setup as a default, I believe you have to go into inetmgr to enable it.
jamie.townsend View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamie.townsend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2008 at 9:36am
You are correct, it is not enabled by default which is stupid if you ask me.
There is a fix:

Control Panel
Add/Remove (Programs and Features)
Turn Windows features on or off
Internet Information Services
Word Wide Web Services
Application Development Features
Tick ASP

that should be it working fine !

Hyarmion View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hyarmion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2008 at 11:15am

Well, I did what was suggested above, but now I get this error when I try to browse one of my ASP files:

This error (HTTP 500 Internal Server Error) means that the website you are visiting had a server problem which prevented the webpage from displaying.

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamie.townsend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2008 at 11:18am
That means you have an error with your script.
Turn off friendly error messages to see the full error

Tools > Internet Options > Advanced > Untick friendly error messages

Then refresh and you should see what is wrong.
Hyarmion View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hyarmion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2008 at 10:55pm
Thanks to one and all I now have things working OK. As well as the above error message changes I also had to enter this horrible string at the command prompt:
%windir%\system32\inetsrv\append set config -section:asp -scriptErrorSentToBrowser:true
Then, and only then, did I start to get error messages telling me what was actually wrong with the script (you know, error messages that contain line numbers).Smile
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamie.townsend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2008 at 11:03pm
Nice One !
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic