Web Wiz - Solar Powered Eco Web Hosting

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Data disappears using the Like % Operator

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
RCorr View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RCorr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Data disappears using the Like % Operator
    Posted: 06 July 2003 at 5:40pm

I am searching my database using the Like keyword. I have implemented asp paging to display the results over several pages. I noticed that when I click on next page, I lose my SQL Statement. I solved this by passing along the SQL Statement, e.g. filename.asp?page=2&SQLStament.

My SQL Statment works, however it doesn't like the % in the LIKE keyword when move from page 1. This is my SQL Statement:

rSqlText= SELECT * FROM qryTaskSpecficWorks WHERE UCase(Author) Like '%GRAFF%'

When page 2 is displayed my SQL Statement becomes:

rSqlText= SELECT * FROM qryTaskSpecficWorks WHERE UCase(Author) Like '_AFFð/LM/W3SVC/1/ROOT

I believe this happens because it doesn't know the difference between a space in the address bar (%20) and the % in the Like Clause.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

RCORR

ljamal View Drop Down
Mod Builder Group
Mod Builder Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ljamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2003 at 6:56pm
Never pass a SQL statement as a variable, it leaves you open to SQL injection attacks. if I was to use the statement:
delete from qryTaskSpecficWorks
the page would run it and delete qryTaskSpecficWorks.

To remedy your problem, I suggest just passing the values uses to create the intial SQL query. That way you just re-create the SQL statement without leaving yourself open to SQL injection attacks.

For more information about SQL injection, I suggest searching for SQL injection in your favortie search engine.
 Post Reply Post Reply