Web Wiz - Solar Powered Eco Web Hosting

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Does that happen often?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
dfrancis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dfrancis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Does that happen often?
    Posted: 21 January 2020 at 6:13pm
All sites went dark for about a half hour (about 30 minutes ago). Does that happen often?

“If you want things to be different, you must be willing to do different things!”David Francis

dfrancis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dfrancis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2020 at 6:39pm
Just did it again for 15 minutes all sites (including this forum).
“If you want things to be different, you must be willing to do different things!”David Francis

pbrowne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pbrowne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2020 at 3:03am
Originally posted by dfrancis dfrancis wrote:

All sites went dark for about a half hour (about 30 minutes ago). Does that happen often?

Not impressed, except for the fact that I am on a 30 trial, and if it happens again, I will be looking elsewhere...
grantorinosport View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grantorinosport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2020 at 4:04am
I had reports from some members about an outage this evening (Seattle time) for a while (30 min? or so) as well. 

Everything appears back up and operating as normal. 
WebWiz-Bruce View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Web Wiz Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WebWiz-Bruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2020 at 12:16pm
Very sorry to hear that you are having problems.

@ dfrancis we did not have any problems on the day that you posted so I suspect  the issue was due to your IP being blocked.

We run an Intrusion Prevention Service (IPS) at our network gateway that detects attacks against websites and other services.

Occasionally there can be a false positive where an action you performed was detected by one of the IPS rules as an attack and blocked your IP for 15 minute period.

If raise a support ticket providing the time/date along with your public IP we can check the IPS logs and make changes to prevent the issue re-occurring.

@ pbrowne we did have a short outage yesterday just after 2 am UK time for around 23 minutes.

We had a Power Distributing Unit (PDU) in one of our racks fail. This caused power to be lost to some of our servers. The issued was resolved by engineers within 23 minutes.

Please see notification at the link below regrading the outage;
https://noc.webwiz.net/network-announcements/power-outage-22nd-january-2020_post553.html

Outages are very rare with this being the second since we opened our new Eco Data Centre 2 years ago. We have 100% uptime in the first year, and 99.999% this year.

Edited by WebWiz-Bruce - 23 January 2020 at 1:23pm
dfrancis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dfrancis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2020 at 1:16pm
That would make sense. I was uploading one of my larger websites (5,000+ files) and that's when it happened. I limited the connections to only 4 at a time, but apparently it still tripped the safeguard. While frustrating at the time, I am comforted knowing you have systems in place to help prevent a DOS attack.

WebWiz-Bruce View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Web Wiz Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WebWiz-Bruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2020 at 1:24pm
If it occurs again, submit a support ticket with your public IP and the time the issue occurred and will check the IPS logs and inspect the rule and see if there is anything we can do to prevent the issue occurring again.
dfrancis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dfrancis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2020 at 1:54pm
Thanks Bruce!

Post Reply Post Reply