Web Wiz - Solar Powered Eco Web Hosting

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Domain change

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
sisc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sisc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Domain change
    Posted: 30 March 2011 at 2:44pm
Good afternoon

Quick question: have set up a temp domain whilst developing the site for the Swimming Club. The site is now ready to launch and we're going to transfer the URL from the current provider. The current owner of the URL is going to update the IPS tag to transfer to WebWiz. Then:

• Do I need to delete my current temp domain before I can register to the transferred domain (only get one domain on our package)?
  • Will the transferred domain be available to me when I attempt to register it?
  • Is my SQL-Server database affected? I assume this is separate and will remain when I delete my temp domain.
Thanks for the help!
Mark
St Ives Swimming Club
WebWiz-Bruce View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Web Wiz Developer

Answer Answer
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WebWiz-Bruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2011 at 4:23pm
When you delete the temp domain you will need to delete the website, any mailboxes, and the domain itself.

The Database and FTP would be unaffected by this and the files themselves for the website would remain in your Hosting Space on our system.

I would suggest though not using a temp domain to setup and test the website and instead setup the website with the domain you are actually going to use. An Instant Alias domain is created when you add your domain so you can test the website is setup correctly before you then point the domain at our network.
123Simples View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Simples Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2011 at 3:04pm
If you are hosting with Web Wiz contact support for assistance - LINK
It will be better to check the exact procedures with them based on what you have said about having a temp domain, etc

They will be able to give you the correct answer
WebWiz-Bruce View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Web Wiz Developer

Answer Answer
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WebWiz-Bruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2011 at 4:23pm
When you delete the temp domain you will need to delete the website, any mailboxes, and the domain itself.

The Database and FTP would be unaffected by this and the files themselves for the website would remain in your Hosting Space on our system.

I would suggest though not using a temp domain to setup and test the website and instead setup the website with the domain you are actually going to use. An Instant Alias domain is created when you add your domain so you can test the website is setup correctly before you then point the domain at our network.
sisc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sisc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2011 at 7:24pm
OK, we've transferred the domain (www.sisc-club.co.uk) to WEB-WIZ and this is showing now as registered to WEB-WIZ. Do I now just delete my old domain and create a new one with this address?

Thanks for the assistance.
123Simples View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Simples Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2011 at 7:42pm
Hi
Usually when a domain transfers over, you would normally bring across all the files into the wwwroot folder
If you are hosting on web wiz, then you have access to the control panel, where you should be able to see if the files are there in the wwwroot folder. It is hard to give you a definitive answer as obviously I have no idea where you are on the transfer process etc. If in doubt, leave the files as they are and confirm this with Web Wiz through your contact pages with them.

Also you have to allow time for the site to propagate - at the moment, it may actually be loading from the cached pages.

Edited by MrTWS - 04 April 2011 at 7:51pm
 Post Reply Post Reply