FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Error message

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Joost View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
"Always"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Error message
    Posted: 16 September 2018 at 12:30pm
Dear member, 

Who can help me with this error..
My database can't connect to the forum, how to fix this problem ?
Thanks for help.Smile

--

The error message:

Server Error in Forum Application
An error has occured while connecting to the database.
Please contact the forum administrator.

Support Error Code:- err__db_connection
File Name:- common.asp

Error details:-
Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers
[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified

Regards, Joost
WebWiz-Bruce View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Web Wiz Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WebWiz-Bruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2018 at 10:42am
The driver that you sellected during setup is not installed on the server.

Replace the files in the database folder with the original files so that the setup wizard will run again and select the appropriate SQL Server driver for whichever driver you have installed on your server.
Joost View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
"Always"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2018 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by WebWiz-Bruce WebWiz-Bruce wrote:

The driver that you sellected during setup is not installed on the server.

Replace the files in the database folder with the original files so that the setup wizard will run again and select the appropriate SQL Server driver for whichever driver you have installed on your server.

Hello Bruce,

Thank you for the information about this, can you send me please the orgininal file database_connection.asp from the version: 8.04

I know about the old version, i will only use this for testing i hope that you can send me the file i can't send PM messages on this moment.. Cry

Or can you add information about my file ? Smile

[

Edited by WebWiz-Bruce - 18 September 2018 at 9:06am
Software version: 12.03
Admin Group
Admin Group
Web Wiz Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WebWiz-Bruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2018 at 9:13am
Version 8 does not use a setup wizard you would manually edit the database_connection.asp file, so the instructions given previously would not be applicable to version 8. 

Only the latest version 12.x supports being able to select the SQL Server Database driver so you can select 'SQL OLE DB (SQLOLEDB)' or the newer 'SQL Server Native Client 11.0'.

Version 8 can only use SQL OLE DB (SQLOLEDB) so you would need to make sure that this database driver is installed on the server.

Version 8 is over 10 years old and is vulnerable to modern hacking techniques. I would not advise running a version this old.

Version 12 is free so there is no reason to stick with an outdated version.
Joost View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
"Always"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2018 at 11:08am

Version 8 does not use a setup wizard you would manually edit the database_connection.asp file, so the instructions given previously would not be applicable to version 8. 

Only the latest version 12.x supports being able to select the SQL Server Database driver so you can select 'SQL OLE DB (SQLOLEDB)' or the newer 'SQL Server Native Client 11.0'.

Version 8 can only use SQL OLE DB (SQLOLEDB) so you would need to make sure that this database driver is installed on the server.

Version 8 is over 10 years old and is vulnerable to modern hacking techniques. I would not advise running a version this old.

Version 12 is free so there is no reason to stick with an outdated version.

Hello Bruce,

Good afternoon ,

Many thanks for the information, can you send me the orgional files from the version 8 in a .zip file to my email address please ?

Thanks for your time and help.

Regards, Joost
Admin Group
Admin Group
Web Wiz Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WebWiz-Bruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2018 at 11:26am
Sorry do not have the version 8 files, which would be over 13 years old now as I believe version 8 was released in 2005.
Joost View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
"Always"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2018 at 2:05pm

Sorry do not have the version 8 files, which would be over 13 years old now as I believe version 8 was released in 2005.

Oké, thanks for the information. I have upload the last version on the FTP as i connect the database in the setup give my forum this error:

An Error Occurred Writing the Database Settings File

Please check that you have Read, Write, and Modify Permissions on the Web Wiz Forums 'Database' Directory.

For further information on setting permissions take a look at the following knowledgebase article,  https://www.webwiz.net/kb/asp_knowledge/_permissions.asp - Checking and Setting up the Correct Permissions on the IIS Server.

Admin Group
Admin Group
Web Wiz Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WebWiz-Bruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2018 at 9:18am
The setup wizard in the latest release needs to write to the configuration files in the 'database' folder.

You would need to set write permissions on the 'database' folder so that the files in the folder can be written to be the setup wizard.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>