Web Wiz - Solar Powered Eco Web Hosting

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database Select by Date

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Diddl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diddl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Database Select by Date
    Posted: 19 February 2005 at 6:53am
Hi

I'm having a problem with the following lines:

strSQL = "Select TOP 1 strips.* from strips where dato <= DateSerial(year(now),month(now),day(now)) ORDER BY DATO DESC"
Set RsStrips = objconn.execute(strSQL)

strSQL = "Select TOP 1 strips.* from strips where dato < "&RsStrips("dato")&" Order By Dato DESC"

Set RsPrevStrips = objconn.execute(strSQL)

It won't accept the RsStrips("dato") as a valid date, so it won't return any values.

I'm using an Access Database with DD-MM-YYYY Output - i have tried converting it to YYYY-MM-DD but nothing helps.. it works fine if i just use either date() or now(), but i want to use a dynamic date.
dj air View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dj air Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2005 at 7:01am
try
DateValue(RsStrips("dato"))

use that in the second query if that desn't also try CDate(RsStrips("dato"))
Diddl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diddl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2005 at 7:14am
I've tried both methods -

The DateValue method - returns an Type Mismatch error, while the CDATE apparently writes an date to the statement, but it still doesn't return any date - i tried CDate(date()) and that worked, but i won't recognise any other kind of date.
dj air View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dj air Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2005 at 2:38pm
is the field in the database a date/time field?
Diddl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diddl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2005 at 3:02pm
Yes. - it's a date time field - because i have to order the fields by date.
dj air View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dj air Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2005 at 3:26pm
can ypou post the results of a made query.. ie can you do a response.write of the SQL statement. so we cn see what it looks like.
Diddl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diddl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2005 at 3:43pm
Somehow i got the Cdate method to work - thanks for the help.
Diddl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diddl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2005 at 5:55pm
I just found out - it didn't work the way i wanted it to.

The SQL string just takes the lowest row in the table.

fx.

RsStrips("dato") Returns the value = 05-12-2004 (from an Date field in access) - the sql string should return the top 1, date that's higher than 05-12-2004. But instead it just returns either the highest date (at the moment) 14-02-2005 or the lowest date - 01-12-2004

I won't filter so it only selects row with a date after 05-12-2004

the sql string is currently:

strSQL = "Select TOP 1 Strips.* from strips where dato > "&CDate(RsStrips("dato"))&" Order By Dato ASC"
Set RsNext = objconn.execute(strSQL)

The only difference in selecting ASC or DESC - is that it's either chooses the highest row or the lowest row in the table.. what's wrong, i just can't figure it out?

Edited by Diddl - 19 February 2005 at 5:57pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>