Web Wiz - Solar Powered Eco Web Hosting

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Attach file to site originated email

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forestinternet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Forestinternet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Attach file to site originated email
    Posted: 08 April 2003 at 3:38am

I need to produce a site that can allow people to fill in a form with their details and then attach a file from their computer and send it with the email containing their details.

I know how to produce and send the form with asp, but am not sure to produce a Browse button that will select a file and attach it to the email sent from the site.

I understand that CDONTS and/or JMAIL may be involved but a point in the right direction will help me.

Thanks.

xdotnet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xdotnet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2003 at 6:05am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Forestinternet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2003 at 4:09am

Thanks!

I wish I understood what I am looking at on this link!

Can somebody give me some pointers to produce a Browse button that will select a file and attach it to the email sent from a site.

Thanks

MorningZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MorningZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2003 at 6:27am
if they are clicking a "browse" button on your site, then they are not using email at that point, they are using a web browser....

you seem to have two methods of delivery mixed up

and are you using "ASP Classic" or ASP.NET, your first post doesn't make it clear
Contribute to the working anarchy we fondly call the Internet
karp13 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karp13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2003 at 7:13am

If you want the person to be able to attach a file that resides on thier local computer you would need to create an upload app and have the file uploaded to your webservers file system and then have the email app grab it from there and send it out.  You would of course want to delete the file from your servers file system afterwards. 

As far as setting up the browse button in asp.net you would use the HtmlInputFile control.

I would start here  also go to www.asp.net and search the forums. 

Then you would just need to wrap the upload and email together. 

Good luck

xdotnet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xdotnet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2003 at 1:21pm

the link i'v give you give info about the MailMessage Class. One of the property of that class is Attachments.

this is ASP.NET Discussion Forum and using ASP.NET, you need that class to send email with attachment.

for the browse button, like karp13 said, you will need to use the HtmlInputFile Class

info for that class + code sample can be found in the link below:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cpref/html/frlrfsystemwebuihtmlcontrolshtmlinputfileclasstopic.asp

I hope you understand what is a class  

Edited by xdotnet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Forestinternet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2003 at 4:28am

Thanks people      I'll have a look at what you suggest.
I understand the bit about browsing - I can create a browse button in Dreamweaver to identify the file to send.
I also see that the attached file needs to be sent to the server for onward transmission to the recipient.
All I have to do now is work out how to do that!
I think it should be a fairly simple application, the code for sites that do it doesn't seem complicated.
And no, I'm not sure I understand what a "class" is - but I will find out!
Any further "plain english" help will be appreciated but at least now you guys have pointed me in the right direction - thanks 

Post Reply Post Reply