Web Wiz - Solar Powered Eco Web Hosting

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is ASP out-of-date?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
zMaestro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zMaestro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is ASP out-of-date?
    Posted: 22 October 2012 at 3:30pm
Hello,
I've a question that I hear now multiple times per day.
Is Classic ASP out-of-date?
yandr View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yandr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2012 at 3:04pm
Yes, it is...
WebWiz-Bruce View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Web Wiz Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WebWiz-Bruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2012 at 4:44pm
Microsoft may not be developing it any more but they still support it, including in latest Windows 2012 IIS 8, which they launched last month.
zMaestro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zMaestro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2012 at 7:33pm
I mean by out-of-date it is not in the competition. It is not capable to compete asp.net in market.

We all see this forum is developed in ASP, why ASP now is notorious.
yandr View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yandr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2012 at 8:57am
Classic ASP was great and it is still capable of offering a rich set of functionality. As a matter of fact, using .NET you have to fight Microsoft in order to produce descent HTML code while it is perfectly easy to mix ASP and HTML correctly to achieve the best possible result.

However, maintaining the code is a nightmare and of course you can't use it anymore for large teams of developers working on the same project.

.NET is the way to go (or better was the way to go years ago). I am sure that WebWizForum will be able to offer huge improvements when they switch to .NET.

IanSmithISA View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanSmithISA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2012 at 10:30am

Good morning

“Out of date” is quite difficult to define;

I am mainly a desktop developer and only very recently did one of my clients move away from an application based on COBOL/SCO Unix on a PC Server/Terminal Emulators on PCs.  The main reason was not that the business needs couldn’t be fulfilled but that future of SCO Unix was/is very unsure.

In terms of development, the WebWiz forum licence allows for a single copy on your PC for test, and I find that I can run my copy using Visual Studio 2008 and it’s debugger to single step through the asp so it clearly isn’t obsolete in this respect. I haven’t tried VS 2010 as I hate it!

Microsoft stopped Classic ASP development a while ago, but like VBA there is so much code around that intentionally making it unavailable soon doesn’t seem likely. However I can easily imagine something happening in the future that makes Classic ASP incompatible with “the latest release” of IIS or less likely SQL Server and MS saying you can’t upgrade from IIS12 or SQL Server 2014. If this were to happen it is time to throw resource at asp.Net or whatever the flavour of the month is then.

If you are not hosting your forum with Webwiz I could see hosting difficulties in the future, especially with the large hosting companies, simply because it is easier for the host to say we don’t support new customers who want to use Classic ASP and lose very little new business.

However I can see some drawbacks for a Classic ASP product. I have an asp.Net site, but I am not working on it full time and I want a forum, so there are a lot of benefits to paying for a one, modifying it and having it part of the site.  This language difference means that I am not modifying the forum very much, certainly not as much as I would have done if it were asp.Net, so I am no contributing much to pool of User Modifications, nor is my knowledge as great as it could be to help with forum queries.

Also if you accept that a move to asp.Net is inevitable then adding and changing the Classic ASP product is more work that will have to be converted. Asp.Net is about 12 years old now, so it is not inconceivable that a replacement either from Microsoft or elsewhere is around the corner. As a desktop developer I am surprised at how hard it is to develop applications that have a browser based (stateless) display in comparison with the desktop (stated). (Mods please feel to delete this link if you want to.Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page.) Have a look at www.SimpleServiceCentre.co.uk to see what I mean by an application.

I’m guessing here, but I expect that many people initially choose their forum based on “what they know”, “What a friend will set up for them” and if neither of these options “who will set it up and run it for them and at what price”.  The language and database probably won’t enter too much into the decision,

Personally I think that PHP is more obsolete (rather than out of date) than Classic ASP because it is an Open Source project, in theory Open Source projects are more open to change than a proprietory technology, but in practice they seem to be less open to new ways of doing things. 

PHP will continue to evolve and develop even when it hits, or in my view already has hit, along with asp.NET, the point where it there is a need for a radical rethink. Asp.Net went with Silverlight as its solution to application development in browsers, this is a proprietory, PHP needs something similar.  HTML 5 is nowhere enough. The trouble with Silverlight is that it hardly something that you can assume will be available outside of intranets.

And if this doesn't start the thread going off topic.....

Bye

Ian

Edited by IanSmithISA - 27 October 2012 at 12:13pm
Why does anyone need more than an 80x25 character only VDU?
WebWiz-Bruce View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Web Wiz Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WebWiz-Bruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2012 at 8:18pm
Windows 2012 IIS 8, released last month, does include built in support for Classic ASP and as Microsoft say that they have 3 years between server OS's then, at least for the next 3 years, Classic ASP is supported by Microsoft.

In 3 years time if IIS 9 does not include support for Classic ASP I am sure there will be a way to copy and across the ASP.DLL and register it as an ISAPI  filter in IIS.

I also don't think we need to worry about SQL Server as Classic ASP can work with nearly all databases, it just depends on the database driver. If there are issues with ADO communication with SQL Server then you can execute SQL queries directly against the database from Classic ASP, allowing ASP to work with almost any database.

ASP.NET has a very step learning curve and is far to heavy for many small web applications, while Classic ASP and PHP do not have such a step learning curve and are much simpler for novice users to use. I believe that Microsoft realise this which is why PHP is now part of the Microsoft IIS web stack and directly supported by Microsoft, it's just a shame that they are not updating and pushing Classic ASP as a simpler alternative to ASP.NET.
Neosox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neosox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2013 at 11:33am
Hello guys !
I'm glad to see that I'm not the last developer who works with CLASSC ASP :)
So I confirm this 'techno' has really good performances, my 2 websites are developed with ASP ( http://www.jobup.ch - www.jobup.ch and   http://www.carduels.com - www.carduels.com). Jobup is a job platform in Switzerland, over 70'000 people come everyday to search a job or publish an offer. My other site CARDUELS is starting (it's my personal site) so there is no strong trafic on it today but if you create a member account, you will see it is like Facebook social network.

Then, I want to say with my globals libraries, I have created a real framework to build any website or service.
These libraries are :
  • Database cache system (records set into binary file or matrix stored in application)
  • AJAX command interpreter
  • Multi language (12 languages on CARDUELS :)
  • Class inheritance (Yes I do with ASP ! That means ASP is OO and Microsoft never speak about it. Ask me if you want to know how to do)
  • Security (Anti SQL injection or Cross site scripting)
  • etc. with classic functionality...
Server is Windows 2008 / IIS 7, and DB is MySQL 5.
Then, for any question, I'm glad to help you.
Best regards
Xavier

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>