Web Wiz - Solar Powered Eco Web Hosting

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Uploading asp.net core app via ftp

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
_blu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _blu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Uploading asp.net core app via ftp
    Posted: 09 October 2017 at 12:11pm
I'm unsure of where to put my application. the wwwroot folder I read is only for files that are open to users, aka static files. So I put my css,js, some images here. 
I then put the rest of my files into the home directory. 

But this does not work. Have I done this wrong, or do I have to change my permission settings?
I tried deleting the web.config file in the wwwroot folder too because I already have one with my app. but that did nothing. Ermm

It's an asp.net core 2.0 application that is not self hosted(so maybe you have not that runtime on the server?)

When setting permissions, I have really no idea what to choose here. There are two options 1) for my domain name and one 2) called "network service". I only want to expose the wwwroot content, the rest I only want my app to be able to access freely.

Edited by _blu - 09 October 2017 at 12:47pm
WebWiz-Bruce View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Web Wiz Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WebWiz-Bruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2017 at 1:17pm
ASP.NET Core 2.0 is supported on all our shared hosting servers and does not need to be enabled.

While you can upload a ASP.NET Core website via FTP you would usually use WebDeploy from within Visual Studio to publish the application to your hosting space. WebDeploy can be enabled for your website by editing the websites settings in your hosting control panel.

If you want to use FTP to upload your ASP.NET Core application, you would upload your .NET Core application to the wwwroot folder. This is the application root for your website so all your .NET Core files and folders get uploaded to this folder.

You should not delete your websites wwwroot folder as this will delete the application root for your website. If you have deleted the wwwroot folder please create a support ticket from your Client Area account so that we can check that the folder is still working correctly.

You set permissions using the user named after your domain name. Network Services should be ignored as this is for older ASP.NET applications that are not running in their own dedicated app pool.

If you still have problems and your .NET Core application is failing to start create a support ticket from your Client Area account and we can have a look for you.

Edited by WebWiz-Bruce - 09 October 2017 at 1:22pm
_blu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _blu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2017 at 2:31pm
Thanks for the quick reply. Looks like it's working now. I don't have webdeploy because I have the cheapest option. But i'm impressed with the speed. It's super fast. I have a relatively complicated app with a big database.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Web Wiz Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WebWiz-Bruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2017 at 2:38pm
Thats great to hear that you have it working and that you are finding it is running super fast.
_blu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _blu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2017 at 9:55am
May I suggest to update your tutorial pages with this info? Placing the asp.net core app into the wwwroot folder may not always be intuitive because the app itself comes with a wwwroot folder. So in my other hosting provider they don't have a folder with that name. When publishing my app via ftp, I first publish it from visual studio into a folder on my pc. that folder contains a wwwroot folder. That is why I was confused about it. First I placed all my files inside the folder with the same name as my domain.

But what I shoul've done is just dump the whole app into that wwwroot folder, because the app controls the requests with it's own server(kestrel). So all files are secure there, and the app's own wwwroot folder is where static files go that are open to everyone.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Web Wiz Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WebWiz-Bruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2017 at 10:13am
wwwroot is the default name used by Microsoft for the IIS web server and is the name that we have used for websites for over a decade.

.NET Core Apps have sub folder within the application also called wwwroot so I can see where the confusion can come from.

Normally you would use WebDeploy to publish your .NET Core application which would by default be published to the websites wwwroot folder without the need to navigate to the correct folder.

I think some thought will need to put in to this as changing the name of the wwwroot folder to something else will confuse our existing customers who are accustom to seeing the wwwroot folder. Will also look at updating the support info for those using FTP to upload their .NET Core applications.

Edited by WebWiz-Bruce - 10 October 2017 at 10:24am
 Post Reply Post Reply