Web Wiz - Solar Powered Eco Web Hosting

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mysql ODBC 5.3 error

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
BritBOT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BritBOT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mysql ODBC 5.3 error
    Posted: 05 October 2021 at 12:43pm
I am trying to install WebWiz for the first time, on Win 2012, IIS8, and get this error on the database
I use Mysql 8 and have both ODBC 5.3 32 bit and ODBC 8 64 bit installed.
The ODBC drivers are in use for both and I have added my new database name in MySql Schemas and an ODBC 5.3 32 bit connection which tests ok for both ANSI and Unicode versions.
Neither seems to work with the WebWiz setup though

An Error Occurred Connecting to the Database

Error details:-
Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers
[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified

BritBOT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BritBOT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2021 at 3:25pm
Changing the code in setup_db_con_test.asp to and using 5.3 ANSI

'Set the connection string to the database
'adoCon.connectionstring = strCon
response.Write(strCon)
adoCon.Open "dsn=databrsforum"

'Set an active connection to the Connection object
'adoCon.Open

produces this error

Error details:-
-2147467259 Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers
[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] The specified DSN contains an architecture mismatch between the Driver and Application

which seems to indicate that your code doesn't like the driver.
Help please

The strCon that produced the first error reported above contained
Driver={MySQL ODBC 5.3 ANSI Driver};Port=3306;Option=3;Server=104.217.253.203;User ID=xxx;Password=xxx;Database=databrsforum;
which looks right .

Edited by BritBOT - 05 October 2021 at 3:30pm
BritBOT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BritBOT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2021 at 8:38am
Testing again this morning, with NO changes to the ODBC - 5.3 ANSI in both User and System DSN, the test connection worked from the setup but on clicking next, got the same error as yesterday.

Strangely, though the test is positive even when there is nothing in the username or password fields.
Please see screenshots here  http://%20brstrnc.com/forum/webwiz1.jpg - https://brstrnc.com/forum/webwiz1.jpg  and -  https://brstrnc.com/forum/webwiz2.jpg - https://brstrnc.com/forum/webwiz2.jpg
WebWiz-Bruce View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Web Wiz Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WebWiz-Bruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2021 at 1:04pm
The error means that the MySQL Database Driver cannot be found.

You want to place the application pool for the website running Web Wiz Forums in 32 bit mode to use MySQL.

You then want to install the MyODBC x86 (32 bit drivers), start with the latest MySQL 5.3 and work backward when installing as installing MySQL 5.3 last will remove all the previous versions.

I would also advise using Microsoft SQL Server over MySQL as it works much better with Microsoft's Classic ASP, and can handle much larger forums than MySQL can.
BritBOT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BritBOT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2021 at 2:15pm
Thanks Bruce
As I use ODBC 8 64 bit for the rest of the site, I added a new 32bit application pool and then added the application to the main website.
The setup proceeded successfully and it looks as if it will do us very nicely.

Next questions,
1. can I have more than one administrator (as opposed to group admins)?
2. even after changing my admin password to what I think is a secure one, when I login it says it is not secure.  (included upper/lower case, number, special char)
3. it looks as though a newbie is allowed in immediately. Is there a way to approve new requests to join?

Edited by BritBOT - 06 October 2021 at 2:47pm
Admin Group
Admin Group
Web Wiz Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WebWiz-Bruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2021 at 2:52pm
1. There is a built in admin account hardcoded, but you can add additional admin accounts that have the same rights.

You can also create moderators that have rights in the forums but can not access the backend admin system.

2. Try a longer password, it might be too short.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Web Wiz Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WebWiz-Bruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2021 at 2:56pm
3. Yes you can enable vetting from the email section in the admin area. Once enabled the admins will need to vet new users to activate their accounts.

You can also use the forum permissions system so new users only have access to certain forums, read-only access to some forums but not others, or forums that are hidden to all but selected groups.
BritBOT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BritBOT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2021 at 3:46pm
Thanks for you help - much appreciated.

1. Solved
2. Tried a very long unique password and still showing insecure.  Looking at the code, I couldn't find anywhere that turned off the class="errorTable" in admn_menu.asp
3. Found the activation now thanks.  I had also found member_approve in tblsetupoptions and set that to true,  but only after adding a primary key to the table so it was not read only.  Actually will probably upload our current member list and then add them when they join the Society so they will be setup immediately.

Next, unfortunately
4. Tried many times to use the Existing Membership API, but even using the same tab to go from my login response to the forum which are both in the same domain, the session Id's are different, so it's not picking up the 3 session variables.  Could this be because it is a different application pool?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>