Web Wiz - Solar Powered Eco Web Hosting

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Upgrading database from 6.x to 7.x

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Wild Max View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wild Max Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Upgrading database from 6.x to 7.x
    Posted: 01 October 2003 at 2:10pm

Hi @ all!

I have a question: Is it possible to upgrade the database of an v 6.x forum to a database, which is compatible with an v 7.x forum??

The program, which is located on the downloadpage isn't working correctly (maybe only in my case, but i need the data of the old forum).

PLZ help me!

mfg Wild_max

michael View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2003 at 3:12pm
I don't know if it works with 7.5B1 but it does work with 7.0 or 7.1, every other upgrade attempt would take too much time, try it again following the instructions exactly and post WHAT is not working.
Wild Max View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wild Max Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2003 at 12:51am

i've tried to transfer the data from the 6.x database to the 7.x database and the transfer was ok!

Then i moved the database to the right directory and set the permissons and then i tried out the forum. And there was one error after the other.
Wenn i paste the original database, i'm able to post without errors!

What should i do?

fernan82 View Drop Down
Mod Builder Group
Mod Builder Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fernan82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2003 at 12:57am
Originally posted by Wild Max Wild Max wrote:

What should i do?

Post the error you're getting...

most likely you didn't set the right permissions for the forum to be able to write to the database or you didn't set the path to the database correctly on common.asp

Wild Max View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wild Max Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2003 at 1:17am

Im sure, that i've set the permissions in the right way. The error i get is a database error (number:80040e21)

And the error is only, when i use the converted database. When i use the original one, this error doesn't appear!

mfg, Wild_Max

Wild Max View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wild Max Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2003 at 11:32am

Has anyone an idea, what i could do, that the database is working?

I mean working in the right way!!

Edited by Wild Max
Nigelo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nigelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2003 at 7:16pm

If you can set permissions successfully the DB is functioning correctly and therefore the common.asp in the Forum/Admin folder has been correctly set with path and driver. If you get errors when using the Forums, it suggests that the other common.asp in Forum has been incorrectly set.

Both common.asp files require configuring with the path to your new DB and the appropriate driver. 

Also, what do you mean by switching back to your old DB. v6 DB requires v6 software and v7 DB requires v7 software - They are not interchangeable. My apologies if that is stating the obvious.

Edited by Nigelo
Hope this helps
Nigel
 Post Reply Post Reply