Web Wiz - Solar Powered Eco Web Hosting

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedScalable site issues

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ub3rl337ch3ch View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scalable site issues
    Posted: 17 May 2005 at 11:12pm
I have been meaning to make all of my sites properly scalable between resolutions for quite some time now, but whenever I attempt it there are always a few things that get in my way. I was wondering if some of you guys could tell me (or point me in the direction of) some info about how to avoid these problems. I'm getting these problems in ie 6 sp2.

1. Whenever I use a div tag, and attempt to set the width to 100%, it always ends up with a blank space on the right sight which is about the width of the scrollbar. Is this a glitch with how relative postioning interacts with scrollbars in ie?

2. Using relative positioning and margin-left:auto; margin-right:auto;  on div's and tex-align centre for the body to centre the div on the screen gives me problems when I want to use a set width for the div in question (out of necissity for displaying tables properly - and the tables *are* for displaying data). The problem is that if div is centred in a window with less available width than the width of the div, it leaves a margin of about 10 pixels between the div and the left of the window. Is this the minimum margin size for css? how - if at all - can i get te div to start at the very left of the window when it's centred like it is. Alternatively, is there a way to centre the div that doesn't have this problem?

3. How can i get a side-bar div to extend down the page the same length as the other contents of the page? So if there is, say, 10000 lines on the page, the div will extend all the way down to the bottom so that there is a solid bar all the way down instead of stopping after one screen's height as would occur with using 100% for the height.

Thanks.
dpyers View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2005 at 3:18am
1. In any block level tag, the content is surrounded by padding, borders, and margins. Different browsers will apply their own default values unless you specifically override them. Try setting padding:0px; for the div's you are using margin:auto; on. Also ensure that those divs are not within a table or another block element with padding and margins and make sure that the body specs don't have padding or a margin.

2. Without seeing code, it's hard to answer but try clearing both margins first and specifying the padding and margins as 0px. There's also a min-width element that only works with some browsers. It'll pos scroll bars rather than shrinking beyond a what you specify as the minimum width. Els has a better solution at http://locusmeus.com/html-css/centerexample3.html.

3. I think what you're after is here - http://locusmeus.com/html-css/simple.html

Lead me not into temptation... I know the short cut, follow me.
 Post Reply Post Reply