Web Wiz - Solar Powered Eco Web Hosting

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prepare a .csv file - How?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Shelby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shelby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prepare a .csv file - How?
    Posted: 15 May 2007 at 7:31pm
I don't know where to insert the name1, email1 etc. I have exported my list from Outlook to Excel as a .csv. Am I to change the headers in excel to reflect name1 for the First Name and change E-mail Address to email1?

Is name2,email2 the 2nd user?

I have never done this and simply need some direction here. Thanks 

How to use the import tool
Prepare a .csv or .txt file. You can use a number of external programs to create this file which needs to be in the following format:-

name1,email1
name2,email2
name3,email3
etc....
KCWebMonkey View Drop Down
Go Chiefs!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KCWebMonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2007 at 8:46pm

The order of the columns in the CSV file doesn't matter. When you import into outlook, click on Map Custom Fields after you choose the CSV file. From there you can drag the column name to the associated field in the address book.

The Import and Export Wizard in Outlook makes it easy to import contact information from an Excel worksheet into your Outlook Contacts folder.

1. In Outlook, on the File menu, click Import and Export.
  2. Click Import from another program or file, and then click Next.
  3. Click Microsoft Excel, and then click Next.
  4. In the File to import box, browse to find the Excel file (.xls) that contains the content you want to import.
  5. Click one of the following:
    • Replace duplicates with items imported
    • Allow duplicates to be created
    • Do not import duplicate items
  6. Click Next.
  7. In the folder list, click the Contacts folder where you want the imported contact information to go, and then click Next.
  8. To add or remove fields to determine the way the contact information is saved in the new imported file, click Map Custom Fields.
    • If the Map Custom Fields button in the Import a File dialog box is not available, check the box next to the file on the left & the Map Custom Fields box should become a live button.
    • In the From box, drag the field that you want to convert onto the Outlook field that is listed in the To box.
    • The Name field doesn't appear in the To box, because Outlook reserves the first row of a named range for field names. If the range that you import does not contain field names, the first row of data will be interpreted as field names and will not be imported as data. To make sure that all of the data in the named range is imported, use the first row for field names.
    • To see additional records in the From box, click Previous or Next.
    • To remove all mapping, click Clear Map.
    • To reset the original mapping, click Default Map.
    • To display additional fields in the To box, click the plus sign (+) next to the field. For example, to display the Business Street and Business City fields, click the plus sign (+) next to Business Address.
  9. Click Finish.
Shelby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shelby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2007 at 8:58pm
Let see I have made it that far. I have the infomation in Excel. Do I then upload it to csv.import as is? Or do I need to do something to it e.g. remove the headers or add the name1,email2 etc.

Thanks for the reply and I'm in hopes you have the answer to the above.
 Post Reply Post Reply