Web Wiz - Solar Powered Eco Web Hosting

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Next version WWF? When?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 4 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
StarDust View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StarDust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Next version WWF? When?
    Posted: 23 March 2008 at 4:49pm
We are keen and we've been waiting for so long for the next version of WWF to be released.

Can we have a word?

This is the last week of this month as we knew a new version was scheduled to be released. I am really waiting for the release of v10 of WWF as I have planned to use it for my board site. I am waiting long. Well, patience always bears fruit that is something we hardly can bear.

Anyone know any news of the next version?

WebWiz-Bruce View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Web Wiz Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WebWiz-Bruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2008 at 8:38am
Version 10 is a massive development project and is at least a few months off it's first beta at this stage.

If you keep an eye on the development blog post more will be announced closer the time.

At the moment development work is concentrated on developing a new version of the CAPTCHA security code as it has been reported some spam bots are getting around some of the images used, so creating a new version to build the images on the fly. This is quite a big undertaking and once complete will be released in a version 9.x while version 10 development continues.
StarDust View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StarDust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2008 at 2:53pm
Thank you Bruce.

I am not putting any pressure just want to know when this new version/9.x might be available. Did you put on any target?
StarDust View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StarDust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2008 at 1:25pm
Whoever had deleted the pot, thanks for him. We are here because we love WWF. And will not move on.
stevek_mcc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevek_mcc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2008 at 1:48pm
I guess it was my post that was deleted. I can't see it anymore, but certainly I wasn't suggesting that anybody should move from WWF to other forum software. Bruce mentioned that the CAPTCHA in WWF has been broken by spam bots, and that it was going to be a lot of work to replace it. I was just suggesting a free component that he could use for that.

I think it's great that we get the WebWiz components for rich text editing and for CAPTCHA as part of the forums. I know they are also available for free, e.g. RTE for single site use, and also for purchase with support and fewer restrictions. I wouldn't have mentioned the free third party CAPTCHA component on the WebWiz CAPTCHA forum -- that would have seemed like promoting a competing product. Mentioning it here seemed useful and OK to me, in the context of WebWiz Forums: the intention was to help Bruce in his development, as integrating it would be much faster than building the equivalent necessary functionality. I though perhaps WebWiz Forums could offer users a choice of CAPTCHA components, as they currently do for upload components.

I'm sorry if I overstepped any boundaries, or if my message was unclear and made people think I didn't like WebWiz Forums. I think they're great!
StarDust View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StarDust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2008 at 5:28pm
Originally posted by stevek_mcc stevek_mcc wrote:

I guess it was my post that was deleted. I can't see it anymore, but certainly I wasn't suggesting that anybody should move from WWF to other forum software. Bruce mentioned that the CAPTCHA in WWF has been broken by spam bots, and that it was going to be a lot of work to replace it. I was just suggesting a free component that he could use for that.....

stevek_mcc please don't get so hurt. I didn't mean it so rough. My comment was not against you, it was for WWF to express how much we like it.

And about Bruce's work, my personal opinion is he can do wonders. Whatever he develops will surely be the best. Because I have seen him implementing some techniques in his programming that express responsibility of a developer to his projects. And we do not want to miss the best.

And WWF? Most of the users in the old days where the free version would include all the premium features were newbies to ASP. Now a very large part of them are developers. Who know they might have learn from WWF.

And of course, it hurt me a little bit finding a WWF user is recommending a third party application to be used in WWF. So I protested saying we will not move on to third parties.
 Post Reply Post Reply