Web Wiz - Solar Powered Eco Web Hosting

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

folder attributes?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
billd3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: folder attributes?
    Posted: 21 October 2010 at 9:33pm
We are hosted with Web Wiz........ (happily so)

We've purchased Banner Manager v10 (Banmanpro lite)
The instructions aren't too bad except when it comes to changing the folder their files are in to "application start point".
LOL - they show going to the server, launching IIS Admin, and doing it as if I was local to the server. Uh, how many folks can actually do that? Only those who OWN their own servers and can remote into their desktop! So, I guess I need to know - is this a support thing I need to open, or can I do it in the control panel somehow???
>>
This directory must be made an Application Starting Point so that Ban Man Pro can use it's own Global.asa file.  Click here for instructions on creating an application starting point. <<

I have the banman files in the wwwroot/banman folder.
They offer "free installation" and that's all fine and good, but I suspect that is basically putting the files in place, setting up the SQL database and setting up the SQL info in their connection string file.
I can probably do that part - or with their help - but the application starting point, then setting the

Then there's this part as well...
In order to use the file upload utility, you must give the Internet Guest Account WRITE permissions on the "imgs" folder.   Click here for directions on setting write permissions.

I guess if needed, I'll go into the control panel and create a help ticket, but maybe this is something SO simple, I'm simply not seeing it in our control panel options for our site.
theamcforum.com

BillD
http://theamcpages.com
http://theamcforum.com
WebWiz-Bruce View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Web Wiz Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WebWiz-Bruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2010 at 9:38am
To create the folder as an application root you need to first create the folder on your hosting space and then in your control panel change the folder to a 'Virtual Directory' by editing the setting for the website.

For the write permissions you can either select 'Enable Write Permissions' under the websites settings in your Control Panel or follow the article below to set write permissions on individual folders:-

billd3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2010 at 12:57pm
Aarrggh!!
I submitted a ticket, but upon attempting to create a virtual folder, I got an error, so tried to start over, and the control panel suddenly said "deleting web" and I freaked! The web is now GONE!!!
I can no longer access theamcforum.com or theamcforum.com/forum in any way.

I wasn't even in the web area, I was in the virtual directory tab when this happened!

I thought I was starting over in the virtual directory area - I'm fairly confident it was only that tag, and I was doing ok (save for the error)

Anyway, I appreciate the quick reply, and I tried to create a virtual folder, got that done, but when I tried to access it or change it, I got a big red error, and I tried to remove it and start over, and the whole thing crashed and the web was gone.

Edited by billd3 - 22 October 2010 at 1:07pm
BillD
WebWiz-Bruce View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Web Wiz Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WebWiz-Bruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2010 at 1:13pm
It appears that you accidentally clicked the delete button to delete the whole website and not the virtual directory.

If you do this again as the websites files remain along with the web.config that contains the websites settings, just re-add the website to the control panel and everything will be back to normal.
billd3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2010 at 1:22pm
Once again, your support and services are second to none. Speedy and FRIENDLY, even when it's a customer boo-boo.
Anyone can sell hosting, it's the things like service that separate the best from the rest.
I'm so used to "direct admin" using IIS Administration from the server desktop, and it seems I'm getting a lot of errors on web things from this computer - I wonder.............

I'll get the rest of this setup this weekend.

BillD
 Post Reply Post Reply