Web Wiz - Solar Powered Eco Web Hosting

New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Sending mail - mail records maintained elsewhere
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sending mail - mail records maintained elsewhere

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ScottM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScottM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sending mail - mail records maintained elsewhere
    Posted: 03 May 2011 at 9:58am
I'm hosting an estate agents website where the owner maintains the DNS and runs a local MS Exchange Server - he has pointed the www A record at the WebWiz server, but makeshis own email arrangements locally.

I've had problems with another website I've set up like this when I try and send email from the web site. How should this web site be set up - should I disable the WebWiz DNS or leave it in place and remove the MX records?

If the domain is example.co.uk - I want to send email from the web site from, say, admin@example.co.uk

Thanks in advance
WebWiz-Bruce View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Web Wiz Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WebWiz-Bruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2011 at 10:18am
It would be far easier if you have the DNS hosted on our DNS servers and updated the MX records for the domain to point at your clients Exchange server.

You can then create a sub domain, such as mailer.example.com which you can then use to create a mailbox in your Control Panel, such as admin@mailer.example.com to send email for the website. The mailbox can be setup to forward any email so any emails that are replied to can be forward to admin@example.com on your clients Exchange server.

If your client insists on hosting the DNS themselves then you would have allot of DNS records to setup for both the domain and sub domain. However, if you do go down this route as IP addresses can change I would suggest using CName records rather than A Records.
ScottM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScottM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2011 at 7:23pm
Thank you - sounds a lot easier to handle everything from this end.
WebWiz-Bruce View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Web Wiz Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WebWiz-Bruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2011 at 9:11am
If you need help setting up the DNS for the customers own Exchange Mail server, just fill in a support ticket giving the domain that needs to be edited and the IP of the Exchange Mail Server and the CName used for the Exchange Autodiscover service.
 Post Reply Post Reply