Web Wiz - Solar Powered Eco Web Hosting

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ASP update code

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
WebCity View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WebCity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ASP update code
    Posted: 25 November 2011 at 12:44am
hello,  I have a asp code that updates a ms access database.  It works great on a iis6 server as it should but on a .net server it gives me an error with no message of what the error might be. I was wondering if some one could help me to convert it to .net?

<!--#include file="conn.asp" -->
<%
if request("cat_id")<>"" then
dim cat_id
cat_id=request("cat_id")

UpdateSql="UPDATE CATEGORIES SET "
UpdateSql=UpdateSql & "cat_name='" & Replace(request("CAT_NAME"),"'","''") & "',"
UpdateSql=UpdateSql & "cat_desc='" & Replace(request("CAT_DESC"),"'","''") & "' "
UpdateSql=UpdateSql & " WHERE CAT_ID=" & cat_id
Set UpdateCmd = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Command")
UpdateCmd.ActiveConnection = connStr
UpdateCmd.CommandText = UpdateSql
UpdateCmd.Execute
UpdateCmd.ActiveConnection.Close

response.Redirect ("categories.asp")
else
response.Redirect ("categories.asp")
end if
%>
dpyers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpyers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2011 at 6:28am
Most likely it's a pathing or a directory permissions error as you're on a new server.
Turn off friendly error messages in your IE options to see a more detailed error message.

Lead me not into temptation... I know the short cut, follow me.
WebCity View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WebCity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2011 at 3:19pm
I have friendly error messages turned off.  you are not allowed to see any errors on a iis7 server.  Because I couldn't see any errors I was forced to build this on a iis6 server where I can view errors.  When I uploaded it to the iis7 or windows 2008 server they told me they allow classic asp to view data from a database but will not allow insert,update or delete.  if I wanted this to work I needed to use .net programing   I tried to just change the file from .asp to .aspx but that didn't help.

I am afraid I may have to find a hosting company that will support asp fully and allow error messages to be viewd on the broswer.
WebWiz-Bruce View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Web Wiz Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WebWiz-Bruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2011 at 5:06pm
You can have detailed error messages for ASP in Windows 2008 IIS 7.

Have a look at our own hosting packages on this web site. They are on Windows 2008 R2 IIS 7.5 with full support for ASP. If you need detailed error messages enabled then we can set this up for you in a couple of minutes at no extra cost.

Our Windows Hosting package can be found on the page below:-

Post Reply Post Reply