Web Wiz - Solar Powered Eco Web Hosting

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Initial Install with SQL 2008

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
sampelje View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sampelje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Initial Install with SQL 2008
    Posted: 06 May 2012 at 3:28am
Hi,

I can not seem to get the installation to see my database.

the error is:

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server
[DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (ParseConnectParams()).]Invalid connection.

Changing the server name create a server not found error - so the server name is correct.

i create a new default db called webforum

i've tried the system administrator acccount and password
the sa and password
a new account called webservice and password.

they all create the same error Ouch.

using local odbc I can test to the db ok
using Sql studio the db looks fine.

i'm tinkered with this for 7 or so hours - I can not figure out the issue.  Ouch

Thanks in advance!
WebWiz-Bruce View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Web Wiz Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WebWiz-Bruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2012 at 9:45am
If you are installing SQL Server yourself then you need to install it in mixed mode with TCP/IP connections enabled.

If you are using the free SQL Server Express version and you have installed in mixed mode only local TCP/IP connections are enabled by default. You would need to tweak the configuration to enable TCP/IP connections on non local IP addresses.

SQL Server Express by default installs with the instant name SQLEXPRESS. You may find that you need to include instant name eg:-

localhost\SQLEXPRESS
sampelje View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sampelje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2012 at 12:37pm
Thanks - During the night I got it working.  As you suggested this ended up being a SQL config issue.  I am running MS SQL 2008 R2.  For others with similar challenges here are the things I did to get it to work for me.

1) In SQL Configuration Manager - Turned on TCPIP
2) In SQL Studio created a new db user and gave it specific management of the webwizforum db
3) In IIS 7.5 confuration turned on ASP

So it is up and running while I play with it more.

Thank you for your help.
Jamesdexter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamesdexter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2022 at 8:17pm
I'm having the exact same issue except I can see the database it just keeps saying the user name or password is wrong and it's the same for logging into SQL.

Edited by Jamesdexter - 26 January 2022 at 8:39pm
Jamesdexter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamesdexter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2022 at 9:59pm
Interesting, something must of changed with the newer SQL. In the past I was able to use my user name but this time I had to enable SA and was able to get it setup.
WebWiz-Bruce View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Web Wiz Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WebWiz-Bruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2022 at 2:41pm
You should need to use an system admin (SA) account, but the database user does need to have DataBase Owner (DBO) rights over the database in order to create a modify the database.
 Post Reply Post Reply