Web Wiz - Solar Powered Eco Web Hosting

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Web Wiz for Dummies

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Paws n Hooves View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paws n Hooves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Web Wiz for Dummies
    Posted: 27 December 2012 at 12:14pm
Hi All,
I'm a total Newbie Dummy  to Web Design and have lots of questions.........

Basically, I'm the president of a small, NFP (Charity) Animal Rescue group in Western Sydney (Downunder).

By default, (because the buck always stops with me), I've been made the Webmaster of a website that was built for us (years ago) using ASP ( http://www.pawsnhooves.com.au - www.pawsnhooves.com.au).

Being from 1st Class Irish and English Convict stock, I'm hoping that someone is able to throw me a lifeline to help out !

Up until now, I've been able to struggle along with Band-Aid solutions but it's got to the stage where I need to make some big changes to the site and ideally, as far as possible, I'd really like to have a CMS installed within the site to make it easier for me to make these changes.

I've downloaded Web Wiz RTE  to my local machine, but as yet, I  haven't been able to run it so I'm assuming that it can't be run locally and needs to be on a Web Server.

Obviously, my first question is....Can the RTE be used to edit HTML locally and then upload the new or modified files ?

There is also an MS Access Data Base within the site that allows our foster carers to record details of the animals that they have in their care so that we have records of vet treatments, Micro Chip and registration details etc.

For some crazy reason, when a "new" cat is entered into the Database and added to our site, their photo and other information appears randomly within one of the cat pages on the site.

When a dog is added on the other hand, the entries appear (as they should) on the top of the first dog page so regular visitors to the site can see  at a glance who our latest additions are.

I have had a look at both the cat and dog ASP pages to try and work out what the differences could be and although I can understand some of the HTML code  for formatting etc, for the life of me, I can't see anything that would help sort the listings into a specific order.

It could be that this comes from the Access DB, but again, I have no idea what I should be looking for or where I should be looking.

It has been suggested to me that we should look at employing a developer or site designer but as our group is a small charity group, we simply don't have the funds to cover such expenses.

If there is anyone that does have the type of knowledge that we need, it goes without saying that we would be eternally grateful for any support that you may be able to offer.

Best Regards

Paul Lewis
Paws n Hooves Animal Rescue
http://www.pawsnhooves.com.au - www.pawsnhooves.com.au
IanSmithISA View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanSmithISA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2012 at 6:16pm
Good afternoon

I think that there may be a misunderstanding about what the WebWiz RTE is.

It is a replacement for the text box on a web page, not some sort of CMS.

Imagine going to

http://www.pawsnhooves.com.au/GuestbookEntry.asp

Where you have the text box Entry, the person who created this page would replace this text box with the WebWiz RTE and you would be able to type text with things like Bold, Underline, Tables, different colours etc.

I am not sure if you understand just how much you are asking for in the second part of your post, setting up a CMS is easy, but because you have your registration system as well you could easily be asking for a week or two working integrating this and getting the CMS to look how you want and then another whole day a month in “it would be nice if we could change this.”

However if you want to send me the cats.asp and dogs.asp pages and the Access database, I would be happy to take a look at the cat sorting issue. If you decide to do this, you will need to look through these pages find any other pages used by #include <file name>. It would be easier to send the whole site, but you might not want to do this.

Bye

Ian

Why does anyone need more than an 80x25 character only VDU?
Scotty32 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scotty32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2012 at 3:37pm
Nothing against Ian, but I would not recommend sending files, especially databases, to people you do not know or trust. This is an obvious security risk.
S2H.co.uk - WebWiz Mods and Skins

For support on my mods + skins, please use my forum.
IanSmithISA View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanSmithISA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2012 at 4:36pm
Good afternoon

I understand what you are saying, but it is pretty hard not to take offence as you have just this moment also posted .
Saying please feel to download my (as in your's Scotty32) changes to your forum.

The OP explicitly asked for help changing things and was quite clear that he wants it done for free, clearly under these circumstances there is no way that I or most people would be willing to waste time trying to simulate his database.

I use PostgresSQL and Gimp a lot as well as Fedora Core, however there is very little that I can do to contribute to these projects, so I sometimes help other people.

If you go to http://www.initialprogramminglanguage.co.uk/ or http://www.personalbusinessintelligence.co.uk/ you will see products that have involved an awful lot of work, hardly the sort of cover created just on the off chance that I can mess up someone’s web site.

Bye

Ian

Edited by IanSmithISA - 30 December 2012 at 6:39pm
Why does anyone need more than an 80x25 character only VDU?
 Post Reply Post Reply