Web Wiz - Solar Powered Eco Web Hosting

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Using SSL on multiple sites

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jon Smith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Using SSL on multiple sites
    Posted: 08 February 2013 at 8:43am
Hi,

I am currently trying your shared windows hosting service and I need some help understanding how to structure my web sites, especially as I now want to add SSL.

I am trying to create a web application build in MVC4. I need three applications:
  1. A main application for clients, e.g. www.mydomain.com
  2. A Staging server to check things out before release, e.g. www.staging.mydomain.com
  3. A testing server for acceptance testing, e.g. www.testing.mydomain.com

I now need to add SSL to all of these (well, testing server first but ultimately all of them). I would like to just use one SSL certificate but it looks like I need three - is that right?

Thanks in advance.

WebWiz-Bruce View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Web Wiz Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WebWiz-Bruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2013 at 10:45am
If all the websites are subdomains of a single domain you could use a wildcard SSL Certificate for the domain, eg. *.example.com

Each website the wildcard SSL Certificate is used for would require it's own IP address for the SSL binding.

However, given the higher cost of wildcard certificates it would more likely be cheaper to by an SSL Certificate for each website.
Jon Smith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2013 at 11:01am
Thanks. That made sense, especially as wildcard SSL certificate is four times the price of single SSL certificates.

Now I am trying to set up an SSL on my testing web app. I have followed the video tutorial but I don't understand what the Directory name and the folder should be.

I have a testing site called: testing1.<mydomain.com>, which I have chosen in the web site dropdown. What do I need to put in the Directory name and folder to assign an SSL to that web site?

I also assume I need to buy a SSL certificate. How do I do that?
Jon Smith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2013 at 11:02am
Sorry, found how to buy SSL.
 Post Reply Post Reply