Web Wiz - Solar Powered Eco Web Hosting

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Chat improvements

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Arna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chat improvements
    Posted: 15 November 2013 at 9:35pm
Hello! :-)

Our chat users have a number of improvement suggestions that may come in handy for future enhancements:

- Keeping chat conversation intact during conversation, not resetting the list periodically as is now the case (typically every 15-20 minutes).
- Function for showing number of users currently in chat, for calls from WebWiz forum or portal software, informing that there are actually someone chatting just now
- Personal message (PM) support
- Sounds at new messages
- Clickable links, or at least easier copyable links and other text (today difficult to perform)
- Better scrolling function in chat,  "newest messages allways in focus" and showing as default behaviour.
- Banning and kick functions available for moderators
- Blocking function on a per user level against other users PMs

Sincerely,

Arna.

Edited by Arna - 15 November 2013 at 9:59pm
Arna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2013 at 9:39pm
Extendability is probably a key word for a extendible system such as WebWiz Forum. A even more rich "API" would be nice, in order to e.g. check the number of chatters presently chatting in the chat part of WebWiz Forum.

In addition, it would be nice to have documentation of the API, so that those trying to tap into the vast possibilities will know what functions are safe to use, avoiding those not documented to be interface functions into e.g. Forum.

Best,

Arna.
WebWiz-Bruce View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Web Wiz Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WebWiz-Bruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2013 at 1:55pm
Thank-you for your suggestions.

I thing I note is that you say the Web Wiz Forums Chat Room is resetting every 15 to 20 minutes. This should not be the case as chat history is held till the application pool serving your website recycles.  Contact your server admin regrading this issue to have them check the application pool for your website is only recycling every 12 + hours and not every 15 to 20 minutes.
Arna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2013 at 9:34am
Thanks, Bruce! I will certainly check out!

Best,

Arna.
grantorinosport View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grantorinosport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2015 at 4:45pm
I would second the recommendations from Arna.

I know on my forum the chat is very popular. It would be nice to see that there is a chat active and how many people are on it.

Sometimes when I get on, I pop onto the chat room, it would be nice if other active users could see there is someone in there. Right now we have to make a sticky note post to let others know, and hope someone see it. We also do some scheduled chat sessions as well, but improvements to allow ad hoc chats is always desired.
ausandrew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ausandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2015 at 10:12am
I would like personal mesg support.
grantorinosport View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grantorinosport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2017 at 2:19am
Any update on some of the chat suggestions from Arna?

I really like the chat function on the forum, and would love to see it enhanced. It's a great thing that has been created. A few more tweaks would really take it to the next level!
WebWiz-Bruce View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Web Wiz Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WebWiz-Bruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2017 at 8:13am
Web Wiz Forums was made free a few years ago so that others could contribute to new features.

We are all very busy here at Web Wiz at present  as we are in the planning stages of new offices and Data Centre with the build expected to start within the next month.

If others want to add new features then we are quite happy to incorporate those changes in to new releases of Web Wiz Forums.

The new features suggested by Arna will be looked at, time permitting.
 Post Reply Post Reply