Web Wiz - Solar Powered Eco Web Hosting

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Video Web SQL

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Don7888 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don7888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Video Web SQL
    Posted: 16 July 2014 at 3:38am
Hey,

I'm working on a project.

I need to create an SQL database that will automatically randomly select videos and play whilst also sending out information about the video in an XML format.

The idea is that the video will be hosted online and companies will be able to plug it in to their website easily and display the video and information.

Does anyone know how I would start with this project and a rough overview of how it should work. I'm familiar with SQL but the Web Server side is very new to me. Any help would be much appreciated, sorry about the vagueness.

Thanks,

d

kemaldas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kemaldas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2014 at 10:12am
I'll help if I learned my friend had done something like that sometime
MEOWPLATES View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MEOWPLATES Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2015 at 7:05pm
Hey Don,

It sounds like you've got a long road ahead of you if you're not too familiar, but don't be discouraged!

So I'll run through this how I would set it up and hopefully it should give you a better idea.
Although I'm still unsure on how to randomize your videos:

1. I'd either upload my videos to a web server or upload them to youtube(because there's nothing wrong with styling a youtube player to work how you want instead of using something less robust).

2. Then I'd create a database with a link to each of the videos in it, so since you're familiar with SQL I won't go into this too much but each link would have its own ID.

3. Then in your HTML code you'll need to pull one of the links in, you can do this by using PHP and MySqli. MySqli is much more secure than MySql so it's a must. So by using these codes you'll need to 'connect to your servers database', 'query the database' and then 'echo' out the link into the HTML. (http://www.codecademy.com/en/tracks/php might be a good place to start)

4. With the link pulling through from your database you can then utilize them with an embed tag(provided by Youtube) or insert it as the source of your chosen video players code. 

If you then want to provide it as a package to customers then you'd be best to turn it into a widget.
But you should definitely get the functionality down before you do anything else.

As for randomizing the videos, I'm sure there's a way you can query the database and ask it for a random result between ID number etc etc, but I'll leave that to you to find out :) 

Hope this helps and feel free to check out our tutorials too!

http://www.meowplates.co.uk/web-tutorials

Post Reply Post Reply