Web Wiz - Solar Powered Eco Web Hosting

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Suggestions - New changes for a big step !!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
negrisoli View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote negrisoli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Suggestions - New changes for a big step !!
    Posted: 01 August 2017 at 1:30am
Hi Bruce,

I'm your fan :-)

I love this Forum app !!

I work with you for years , then I'd like to take some suggestions.

Today, we are in the "digital transformation" , principaly for usabilities , where we and our customer looking for more agilities and practicity for use with mobile and social media integration.

Well , I think that the first step is , it's need to take a big step in this app , I don't know wich strategies do you have , but I think that this app is very useful and we don't have many strongers players like you. Maybe one , opensource , but I don't like them :-)

Then, I think that the first step is with "single signing on" with social medias , chat , messages , posts integrations between of them. Facebook and Google are big companies that are driving our market and technologies.

The other step , I think would be better to correct and update the requeriments of the app , for exemple , today we have Windows Server and SQL 2016 , and the actual settings still point to very old versions.

Like previosly , you would need to update the third apps , like Dundas , AspUpload , whatever ... they are very old and some scripts we dodn't find anymore nowadays.

Certainly, these updates are big changes, but they will be a big , professional and enterprise step.

Think about it !!! 

Best regards.
WebWiz-Bruce View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Web Wiz Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WebWiz-Bruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2017 at 7:38am
Allot of work has already been made to the mobile version of Web Wiz Forums over the latest year with the mobile version now much better in mobile devices that previously. There are also new features such as image upload from IOS.

Web Wiz Forums already supports Windows Server 2016 and SQL Server 2016.

I am not sure what you mean by "update the third apps, like Dundas , AspUpload". These would be updated by the developers of these upload components. Persists AspUpload is maintained and updated often by Persists. Some of the other upload components that are supported are no-longer maintained but support for these remains in Web Wiz Forums as many people still use them.

A Facebook sign-on is on the 'todo' list to add to future releases. As Web Wiz Forums is free finding the time to develop new features can be difficult, but there is nothing stopping others like yourself from contributing new features.
negrisoli View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote negrisoli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2017 at 5:33pm
Hi Bruce,

Great news !!! 

About the third apps like Dundas, AspUpload, etc, it is about these components. I know the Persist Company and I'm using the Persist because they are more professional. But , I think will be better you update the others , maybe you have others Customers and Users that must use , but they are not more supported by communities or developers and I think this is not safe for use.

Today, I'm using the SQL 2016, I know that is supported by app, but it is not clear in your control panel or during the instalation, it is not explicit.

I know that there are many effort and adjusts , but these a litle details make the difference :-)

Maybe, you could have different versions, like: Standard and Enterprise, because I think about Enterprise business, for me, the most important is the app to be safe , that have support with good partnerships, easy integration (API) and mobility.

Well, this topic it is only for estimulate others and say, keep going :-)

I like so much this app and there are a lot of potencial.

Thanks and if you need some others suggestion or want to talking about anything, I will be happy to contribute.

Thanks !
PedroCury View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PedroCury Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2017 at 9:14pm
Hey Rodrigo,

Happy to see your message. I´m also brazilian and I use Bruce´s solution for more than 10 years I believe.

I also need some urgent upgrades, including social login almost as the top of the list.

There are also some other stuff that I believe that would make our life easier, including Bruce´s life too !!! :)

Like updating to HTML5 and a responsive design (maybe using bootrap 4!). This would kill mobile version and keep one version only - that works well in mobile and anything else. Code would be much much simpler and faster.

Rewriting the code for forum_posts is the hardest, but changing from old nested HTML tables to new divs or even flexbox, would make code smaller and easier to maintain.

Also, separating design (html) from server side code, would make it much easier to do mods. (I have refactored some of my codes and it´s worth).

As Bruce said... it´s now open source and opened for contribution... so... I believe that you, me and more people that are interested, could help it somehow! 

It seems easy, but it´s sure a lot of work and take some months, so, maybe, we could somehow do a crowdfunding and having a programmer to do it. Bruce could find a local programmer that he can have control on (not to have the risk of abandoning the project).

This would be awesome! And actually, maybe this will be really necessary for the future... as search engines could start to have bad reputation on non HTML5 code... who knows ?!

Our job would be to decide how advanced we should go, considering that are hundred of active foruns that could have old tech users. Maybe best approach would be to have a totally new version as you said... Like... regular WWF forum will have security updates only, but the Premium / Enterprise / Whatever version will be HTML 5, responsive, flexbox ready and so. Since the core server side code could be almost the same, security updates of the regular version could be totally compatible to the new version.

I have done plenty of mods in my foruns and I could help with opinions and time... and of course, with the crowdfunding!

What do you think Bruce ?
 Post Reply Post Reply