Web Wiz - Solar Powered Eco Web Hosting

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SQL Server Install Not Working

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
swabygw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swabygw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SQL Server Install Not Working
    Posted: 05 September 2018 at 1:27pm
Hi, I’m doing a new installation on a new Windows server (equipped with SQL Server) and I’m getting the following error on the test database connection - see Attachment 1. Here’s my configuration (I’ve already created the database, EnterpriseInterchange, in SQL Server 2017) - see Attachment 2.
Okay, the image attachment feature isn't working correctly here...here's the error that I'm getting: "An error occurred connecting to the database.  Error details: Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers. Data source name not found and no default driver specified."  In the configuration page, I specified the IP address for my server where I have my SQL Server, I created a database instance and entered the name of it in the configuration page, along with the userid and password to log in.

WebWiz-Bruce View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Web Wiz Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WebWiz-Bruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2018 at 7:40am
The error:

Data source name not found and no default driver specified.

Means that the database driver you have selected is not installed on the server.

Try selecting the alternative driver or install the missing Database driver on the web server.

Supported drivers for SQL Server are:

SQL OLE DB (SQLOLEDB)
SQL Server Native Client 11.0
swabygw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swabygw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2018 at 10:24am
Thanks - I installed the driver and am now receiving a 500.19 error (can't read web.config file).  I should also ask which of the following directory structures is recommended:

1) http://www.mydomain.com/forum - www.mydomain.com/forum - default.asp is within the forum folder
2) http://www.mydomain.com - www.mydomain.com - default.asp is at the root

Essentailly, should the I keep everything in the forum folder, or place everything at root?

Edit:  I attempted to replace the web.config file with a standard (basically empty) web.config file and was able to get back to the installation page.  From there, I was able to make a successful database connection.  However, after the database test was successful, it took me back to the first installation page (no install occurred).

Edited by swabygw - 06 September 2018 at 10:59am
WebWiz-Bruce View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Web Wiz Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WebWiz-Bruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2018 at 10:19am
If the web.config is causing an error it means that you do not have the IIS Rewrite Module installed on the server for the rewrite rules to work. You can download it from:

If the setup is not competing it means the setup wizard is unable to write the configuration settings to the files in the forums 'database' folder. Make sure you enable write permissions on the forums 'database' folder.

Were you install your forum, in the website root or a sub folder makes no difference, it is a personal choice where you prefer it. 
swabygw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swabygw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2018 at 3:53pm
The url-rewrite installation did the trick.  Thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply