Web Wiz - Solar Powered Eco Web Hosting

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Membership API

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
purifire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purifire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Membership API
    Posted: 10 June 2019 at 7:08am
Hi I installed Web Wiz forums for my site and I am trying to integrate my login details with the forum login. I followed the steps and added the code to create the three session variables for UID, PASSWORD and EMAIL. I also changed the varialbe in the functions file to true. When I access the forum page it is not reading the session variable. I can read the session varianles from my site pages but forum is not reading and the existing membership details are not getting loaded in forum DB.

I am confused and any help is appreciated. I am a non techie so please excuse if this sounds like a very basic issue. Not sure if this has been addressed before.

Rishi Puri
WebWiz-Bruce View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Web Wiz Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WebWiz-Bruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2019 at 8:43am
For session variables to work Web Wiz Forums needs to be running on the same websites as your login page using the same domain and same application pool that uses a single worker process.

Session variables can not be passed from website to another and application pool processes.

Also as session variables rely on cookies to identify the user the websites domain needs to be the same, so you can no pass session variables between 'example.com' and 'forum.example.com'
purifire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purifire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2019 at 9:38am
Ah, Thank you Bruce. I think you just identified my problem perfectly. I am passing the session variables from my default domain to forum.domain.com. That could be the reason.

Any suggestion how I can overcome this?

Will Session("USER").domain = .domain.com work?

Rishi

Edited by purifire - 10 June 2019 at 9:44am
WebWiz-Bruce View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Web Wiz Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WebWiz-Bruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2019 at 11:39am
Session variables live within the websites own memory process.

For security websites can not read the memory of another website, so the session variables cannot be passed between the two websites.

The only way the existing membership API will work is if you move the forum to the same website and have it in a subfolder rather than a subdomain.

There is also the 'Web Wiz Forums XML HTTP API' which can be used to login to the forum from another website. The XML HTTP API is allot more powerful, but would require programming skills in order to be able to use it. The page below has more details;

purifire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purifire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2019 at 1:09pm
Hi Bruce,

Appreciate your guidance and help here. I will definitely go through the API link that you shared.

Appreciate all your support.

Edited by purifire - 10 June 2019 at 1:29pm
 Post Reply Post Reply