Web Wiz - Solar Powered Eco Web Hosting

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Scheduled Task - Call A Web Page

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
IanSmithISA View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanSmithISA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scheduled Task - Call A Web Page
    Posted: 15 July 2019 at 6:43am
Good morning.

Is it possible to automatically call a web page as a scheduled task, if it can’t be a web page but needs to be an actual exe that would also be fine?

The control panel page at https://www.controlpanellive.net/Default.aspx?pid=SpaceScheduledTasks doesn’t seem to offer such an option.

Basically I want to send myself a text/email if there is an entry in a database table that I haven’t noticed for a day or so.

I have an old standard shared hosting package.

Thanks

Ian

Why does anyone need more than an 80x25 character only VDU?
WebWiz-Bruce View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Web Wiz Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WebWiz-Bruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2019 at 2:11pm
You can create a scheduled task to call a web page from the Hosting Control Panel, it is called 'Check website availability'. 

You would not be able to run an executable file on Shared Hosting, so you would not be able to call an .exe file.

You should be able though to create a web page that can query your database and send you an email which can be triggered from a scheduled task.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanSmithISA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2019 at 4:57pm
Good evening,

Thanks for this, I did try it and it didn't work, 

If I call the page directly it performs as I expect.

I have re-enabled the task and will let it run once an hour over night.

As the query is currently select 1 (test) row from three rows in a table I will leave it to run as a scheduled task overnight and it won't have any impact on anyone else. :-)

I have  a horrible feeling that the web site availability task removes everything in the URL after the domain name. ;-(

Bye

Ian
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanSmithISA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2019 at 8:01am
Good morning,

This is a bit weird! 

I have checked the IIS log and it shows

2019-07-15 06:54:48 W3SVC87 92.53.241.24 GET /MyFolder/MyPage.aspx =AmIARobot=No

Note the lack of ? and a space before =AmIARobot=No

I was using this param as way of stopping any search engine that found the page causing the page to do what it was supposed to do.

I copied and pasted the url from the Scheduled Tasks screen directly into a browser and it does have a ? and it does what I wanted. 

So I have removed the check for the parameter and the page works correctly as a Scheduled Task.

It appears that the scheduled task to doing some kind of processing of the url which makes the use of a parameter impossible.

Bye

Ian
WebWiz-Bruce View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Web Wiz Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WebWiz-Bruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2019 at 8:43am
If you are looking at IIS Log files then the question mark (?) is not included in the log file for querystrings.

This is the same for all querystrings, if you look back through the IIS Log file you will see that for every URL that has a querystring the question mark will be removed before being stored in the log file.

If the scheduled task removed the question mark before the querying the web server would not understand the request and throw an error.

If you have any other questions, I would suggest opening a support ticket as these support forums are not checked regularly and it will also give us access to your account to review the settings and look at your log files. 
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanSmithISA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2019 at 9:03am
Good morning,

Thanks, everything is working fine now. :-)

Bye

Ian
 Post Reply Post Reply