Web Wiz - Solar Powered Eco Web Hosting

New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Send email notifications through gmail SMTP server
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Send email notifications through gmail SMTP server

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ForumDummy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForumDummy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Send email notifications through gmail SMTP server
    Posted: 20 September 2019 at 7:05am
What line or lines of code would I need to add to functions_send_mail.asp in order to send notification emails through the gmail server when someone makes a post? I am using CDOSYS. Gmail requires STARTTLS command. smtpusess or something like it? Thanks!
WebWiz-Bruce View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Web Wiz Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WebWiz-Bruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2019 at 8:18am
As far as I am aware CDOSYS does not support STARTTLS.

You would need to use Persists AspEmail which is supported in Web Wiz Forums and does work with Gmail's STARTTLS.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForumDummy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2019 at 8:53am
I think I would like to try it. So should I add this code to functions_send_mail.asp?

Mail.TLS = True
Mail.Port = 587

or this?

.TLS = True
.Port = 587

Thank you.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Web Wiz Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WebWiz-Bruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2019 at 2:38pm
You do not need to add anything to the functions_send_mail.asp file.

From the email settings page in the Web Wiz Forums admin area select the option for CDOSYS with SSL and set the port to 587.

TLS is just the new name for SSL. SSL was replaced with TLS 20 years ago, but TLS kept being called SSL as most people know what SSL but until recently most people would not have ever heard of TLS.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForumDummy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2019 at 9:38am
Now I am really getting confused.  To get Web Wiz Forums to work with gmail, don't we need STARTTLS? If so, then we cannot use CDOSYS, correct? Which is why you suggested Persists AspEmail, correct? If I need to use Persists AspEmail, then I would need to hard code some stuff into functions_send_mail.asp, wouldn't I? But I would prefer to use CDOSYS.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Web Wiz Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WebWiz-Bruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2019 at 12:08pm
You can not use CDOSYS, but you can use Persists AspEmail with Gmail using STARTTLS.

No coding is required. All you need to do is from the 'Email Settings' page in the 'forum admin area' select the option for 'Persists AspEmail with TLS'.

After the connection is made to Gmails SMTP servers, Gmail will then send the STARTTLS command and Persists will then change to using TLS encryption for the connection.

I use this on several forums with Gmail and it works out the box with no code changes needed.

Edited by WebWiz-Bruce - 30 September 2019 at 12:16pm
 Post Reply Post Reply