FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mysql ODBC 5.3 error

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
WebWiz-Bruce View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Web Wiz Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WebWiz-Bruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2021 at 9:07am
4. The Existing Membership API uses ASP Session which require both the website where the session variable are set and Web Wiz Forums are both in the same application pool.

If you are using different websites and/or application pools there is also the XML HTTP API that can work across websites, domains, and applications pools.

BritBOT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BritBOT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2021 at 12:03pm
Yes, and because I have had to use ODBC 5.3 32 bit for your code, there has to be a different application as we established earlier. 

However, the httpAPI seems to require the admin name and password to be sent to it which exposes them, even if in hidden fields. Not good IMHO.
Even if I store them in a session variable, they would still be exposed.
Is there a way of automatically logging in without that?

Your demo does return a cookie, but I'm afraid I haven't seen anywhere yet that says how that might be used to login.

Apologies if this is repeated, I thought I had posted this before your forum went down.

Admin Group
Admin Group
Web Wiz Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WebWiz-Bruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2021 at 6:56pm
The existing member API is the easiest to use, but as ASP sessions only work within the same website/application pool you would need to find a way to have your website and forum run in the same website/application pool for it to work.

I highly recommend that you use SQL Server for the backend database which also supports 64-bit application pools. MySQL does not work very well as the backend database and we only maintain support for mySQL due to legacy reasons.

Regarding the XML HTTP API. This is intended to be used in backend server side code and should never be exposed client side.

If you are going to use the XML HTTP API you would need to write your own server side code that sends an XML request to the forums API, which then responds with an XML response that you would parse in your server side code.

Edited by WebWiz-Bruce - 12 October 2021 at 7:02am
BritBOT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BritBOT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2021 at 8:51am
Thanks, appreciate the advice but with all my sites using MySql, not going to change for this.

However, I am using the XML HTTP API and successfully parsing the response which gives the cookie.  My question is what do I do with that?  I can't see any documentation on how to use that to login. Presumably the cookie code needs to be redirected somewhere. Please advise.
Would it be possible for you to give me a code example please?
Admin Group
Admin Group
Web Wiz Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WebWiz-Bruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2021 at 11:16am
You would parse the XML to get the CookieName, CookieKey, and CookieData. 

This would be used to set a cookie in the users web browser which can then be read by the forum to login the user.

You can then re-create the same cookie as the forum would create when someone logs in to the forum.

The CookieName would be the name of the cookie you create, the CookieKey will be the cookie key usually UID, and the Cookie Data is the data you set for the cookie.

If the cookie is set on the same domain as the forum then you don't need to worry about browser security as the forum will be able to read the cookie and use this to login the user.
BritBOT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BritBOT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2021 at 7:41am
Thanks for your help.

Edited by BritBOT - 19 October 2021 at 8:20am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12