Web Wiz - Solar Powered Eco Web Hosting

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNovice Needs Help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
fateshand View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Novice Needs Help
    Posted: 27 February 2003 at 7:36am

I am having trouble designing my site. I cant get it to work the way that I invision it should.  Here is my site: http://students.ou.edu/M/Randall.G.Minnis-1. Please take a look at the site so you can know what I am talking about. 

When you look at my page, the area that says:

"Gavin Minnis ...and the really really rediculously good band isn't really a band yet. Actually, the purpose of this web page is to share with etc."

...well what I want to happen is this: I want to be able to click on the links (news, music, links, contact) and have the information for those links come up right where the wording is (the part I refured to above).  I dont want to have to open those links in a different page.  How can I accomplish this.

Thanks alot,

Gavin    -if you need to see my html source, let me know

Edited by -boRg-
trendecide View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2003 at 12:38pm

there are several ways to accomplish this... layers, iframes, <% server.execute "file.htm" %> or <!--#include "file.htm" --> (the last two only work if your home page is an ASP page).  Layers suck and really aren't a terriblly good idea because the layer will always display differently on someone else's computer or screen resolution.  Some people are better with layers than others and can use them well.  In my honest opinion you should probably try using iframes in the page which is universal throughout IE5+ and Netscape 6+.

<iframe width=450 height=450 name=_iframe></iframe>

then tell all your links to load in '_iframe' instead of '_blank' or '_parent'.

If your server does support ASP, I strongly recommend just using the server.execute.  It works better and saves you a lot of time.

Love, Peace and Chicken Grease!
 Post Reply Post Reply