Web Wiz - Solar Powered Eco Hosting

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HELP - website to sell photos

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
vvill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HELP - website to sell photos
    Posted: 27 April 2003 at 4:45am

i'd like to set up a website to sell photos and i think i'm gonna use paypal's shopping cart function. but then i worry if it'll be very time-consuming to just use HTML for the site. cos i'll have to make seperate pages for maybe 10 photos each time.

so i just wanna know if anyone can give me suggestions if i should use php or asp to help me with this (say setting up a database). but the problem is i don't know both languages before. and which one is easier to learn?

thank you very much.

Edited by vvill
MKrivanek View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MKrivanek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2003 at 9:16am

why don't you just use a premade script... it would be much easier, for what you are talking about is on a large scale...

www.hotscripts.com
www.aspin.com

Necronom View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Necronom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2003 at 9:21am

You also want to make sure that your photos aren't stolen. So I would do a ton of things. Watermark them, put trasparent gif's over em, etc...check out how BodyMod.org protects their images. Go to somewhere like Piercings > Nose and click a Mod. Then click on the thumbnail of the image to see the full size. see hoe the images are protected there?

Just a thought.

. necronom .

xeerex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xeerex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2003 at 11:27am
I'd highly recommend that you use www.candypress.com for your shopping cart system. Don't let the name fool you. Their code is awesome and for the price you just can't beat it. It will integrate with PayPal and most other payment systems out there, and the support is fast if needed.
KCWebMonkey View Drop Down

Go Chiefs!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KCWebMonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2003 at 2:02pm

I agree w/ xeerex. i use candypress because of it's ease to use/modify.

Plus, you can download the storefront for free to try it out, and then if it works for you, you can go and buy the admin function for the backend of the shopping cart and upload it.

stydpol View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stydpol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2003 at 11:02pm

before choosing between asp and php consider this. is your webhosting support those languages. remember asp runs on IIS and IIS are windows base while php may runs on Apache Server and Apache Server are non Microsoft windows . But for me i might choose ASP because of its wide resources . just a suggestion

Originally posted by vvill vvill wrote:

i'd like to set up a website to sell photos and i think i'm gonna use paypal's shopping cart function. but then i worry if it'll be very time-consuming to just use HTML for the site. cos i'll have to make seperate pages for maybe 10 photos each time.

so i just wanna know if anyone can give me suggestions if i should use php or asp to help me with this (say setting up a database). but the problem is i don't know both languages before. and which one is easier to learn?

thank you very much.

cr*piecorn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cr*piecorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2003 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by stydpol stydpol wrote:

before choosing between asp and php consider this. is your webhosting support those languages. remember asp runs on IIS and IIS are windows base while php may runs on Apache Server and Apache Server are non Microsoft windows . But for me i might choose ASP because of its wide resources . just a suggestion

Originally posted by vvill vvill wrote:

thank you very much.

But for me i might choose ASP because of its wide resources . just a suggestion

here i am with the nagging again , the sentence above is most def wrong , there are more resources for php than lets say asp , even if you look at hotscripts... you'll see my point , and everyone knows that linux/unix servers are more stable then a windows server , even hotmail uses an unix server  , but hey choose what you think is best ..

Edited by cr*piecorn
Ruben Schepers
http://www.crapiecorn.be
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic