Web Wiz - Solar Powered Eco Web Hosting

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Import Webwiz Forum Access to SQL Server

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
anngerilyn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anngerilyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Import Webwiz Forum Access to SQL Server
    Posted: 03 March 2008 at 7:39am
Hi All,

Anybody can give me some clues on how to import webwiz forum Access to SQL Server.
Question1:
I had downloaded webwiz forum Access database to see its function. My question is if i had already added quite many users inside, and also post inside are greater than 50 already. Do i have the option to import access database to SQL Server if i upgrade it. currently i saw an "Import" menu within webwiz forum access. will i also see this in webwiz forum SQL Server?

Question2:
1. downloaded webwiz forum access database
2. added 50+ users or posts/topics
3. uninstall webwiz forum access database
4. downloaded webwiz forum SQL server database
5. added new 20 users or posts/topics
6. PLEASE CONFIRM: if i import the previous webwiz forum access database to my new webwiz forum SQL database will the data be overwritten? or will the data just be added? will the result be 70+ users or posts/topics??

Thanks!
Ann
grovelli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grovelli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2008 at 8:34pm
Hi, what page did you download webwiz forum Access database from?
WebWiz-Bruce View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Web Wiz Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WebWiz-Bruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2008 at 8:51am
The Access database is available in the Access download of Web Wiz Forums.

However, the user above is incorrect in how you move from Access to SQL Server.

To move from Access to SQL Server you need to use the Upsize wizard found in MS Access to upsize the Access database to SQL Server.

You also need to have SQL Server installed on the local network to do this (the free Express Edition is good for this). Then when you upsize the database choose to have Access create a new database when upsizing.

Once the database is upsize if you need to move the SQL Server database to that of your web host you should create a backup of the database (.bak file) then use this to restore the database on your web hosts server. If you try to export/import the data you often loose important parts of the database schema, so you should use the database backup method to move your database.
grovelli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grovelli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2008 at 9:30am
Hi Bruce,
SSMA for Access: Frequently Asked Questions says, "SSMA for Access offers a richer set of features, such as network scanning, conversion assessment reports, and more. SSMA for Access also fixes many issues currently not handled correctly by the Office Upsizing Wizard."
So I guess you get more bang for your buck if you use that instead.
I'm looking at http://forums.webwiz.net/ but I don't see an "Access download" sectionConfused
Admin Group
Admin Group
Web Wiz Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WebWiz-Bruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2008 at 10:33am
Have done hundreds of upsizes of Web Wiz Forums Access to SQL Server for people moving their Web Wiz Forums Access versions across to our hosted solutions and never had an issue with the Access 2007 upsize wizard. Not used the other software you mention so would not like to comment.

The various different database versions are available on the Web Wiz Forums download page at www.webwizforums.com
grovelli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grovelli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2008 at 10:41am

Thank you BruceSmile

I'm using Access 2003 so evidently the 2007 Upsizing wizard is more performant.
fabrixnet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fabrixnet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2008 at 11:06am
hallo,
is possible Upgrade Web Wiz Forums with access version 7 to version 9 with mysql?

Which Tool I must use?

Web Wiz Forums version 8.x Upgrade Tools:
Microsoft SQL Server Upgrade Tool
mySQL Upgrade Tool
Microsoft Access Upgrade Tool

Web Wiz Forums version 7.x Upgrade Tools:
Microsoft SQL Server Upgrade Tool
Microsoft Access Upgrade Tool
Admin Group
Admin Group
Web Wiz Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WebWiz-Bruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2008 at 12:01pm
SQL Server and Access use a relational database for Web Wiz Forums. mySQL is not a relational database.

This means that mySQL version of Web Wiz Forums uses a very different none relational database schema compared to the SQL Server and Access versions so you can not move from Access or SQL Server to mySQL.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>