Web Wiz - Solar Powered Eco Web Hosting

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Logging Out Issue With Firefox/2.0.0.1

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Melkor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melkor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2007 at 8:11am
I had a lot of members have this issue. It turned out all of them used FF's "import cookies from IE" option.
Freon22 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freon22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2007 at 3:11pm
So what is the logout issue? Is it this, if I log into the forum at home and click the "Keep me Logged-in on this computer (requires cookies)"

The I go to my office and login and click the "Keep me Logged-in on this computer (requires cookies)"

When I go back home I find that I have been logged out and have to login again then when I go to the office I have to login again.

Is that the issue you are having?
WebWiz-Bruce View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Web Wiz Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WebWiz-Bruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2007 at 4:42pm
The login system used in web wiz forums is very secure so if you choose the keep me logged in option you will loose that preference if you log in from a different location.

This is because for extra security a new 32 bit login code is generated each time you login and as the login cookie is connected to this it will no-longer work when you move to back to the first location.

This is done by design as this is not a bad thing as it adds an extra layer of security making it much harder for a hacker to gain access by using the 32 bit code if it remained the same.
Tulos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tulos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2007 at 5:40pm
I'm having issues too and I'm using IE 7. I'm having problem to keep me log even on the same computer. I log with the option keep me loged then I close my browser and I have to relog again if I go back on the forum.

I think I've found something that could be the cause of my problem and I wanted to ask someone about it.

I'm using port 80 redirection from a DNS service provider (www.no-ip.com).

I think it may be the reason why I have these problems. I'll try to access my server without using the port redirection to see if I still have the problem.

Meanwhile, I would like someone to confirm me that it might be the cause of my problems.

Thanks !
User123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote User123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2007 at 1:38pm
The root issue here is cookies.  The forum stores a single cookie (usually called WWF) with subkeys storing information such as a special user ID which allows you to be logged on automatically.  Anything that affects the cookies adversely could cause the problem you're describing.  This includes but is not limited to: corrupted cookies or cache (try clearing everything in your browser), proxy servers (possibly like your no-ip.com), browser settings and add-ons (such as cookie blockers and managers), and other software installed in the same tree as the forum software (such as portal systems).

No offense to the WebWiz developers, which have turned out a very usable system, but the out-of-the-box cookie handling is pretty basic and doesn't follow standard practices (such as including a path on cookies when the forums are in a subfolder, keeping persistent information in a different cookie from non-persistent info, etc).  I had the same problems described in this thread and had to rewrite the cookie management in WebWiz to overcome the issue.  Now all 100+ users have confirmed they stay logged in.

Unfortunately, since the cookies are referenced directly throughout the code, it's not easy to produce a "mod" which could be distributed to achieve the changes required.
Tulos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tulos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2007 at 7:40pm
Thanks for the answer. I'll see what I can do with this problem.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12