Web Wiz - Solar Powered Eco Hosting

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Migrate From Access to MSSQL (Not wwf)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
skwfalcon16 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skwfalcon16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Migrate From Access to MSSQL (Not wwf)
    Posted: 25 October 2006 at 6:52pm
Recently, I built a site for one of my student organizations and built it around a access database. Nothing fancy, just simple event management and an organization roster, both of which can be updated from an admin section.

Everything is working fine, but I'm having a hard time convincing the Network Admin (our site is on a university computer) to give me permissions to write to the database. I can read from it, but can't write cause the permssions aren't set. He's offered to set up a MS-SQL database for me to use and he feels it's much more secure (and it probably is).

My question is, what all is involved in converting over from access to mssql? I've been using ASP for some time and am quite fluent when working with access databases, but have never used mssql databases. Basiclly, what are the big things that need to be changed or looked at to convert over to mssql. Any links to good tutorial sites would also be appreciated!

Thanks!
michael View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2006 at 8:07pm
You can either from within Access (I think under Tools) use the Database up sizing wizard, or use DTS/SSIS to import it from withing SQL Server Enterprise Manager/Management Studio (/depending on SQL Version).
Scott07 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2006 at 11:05am
The best way I found was trial and error and running the process using the DTS service on the sql server (rather than upsizing using access) worked much better and preserved the data better, the one big gotcah though is that when using sql server you need to create a login account for the asp pages to use then assign them the permission to do whats needed to the tables in the database.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic