Web Wiz - Solar Powered Eco Web Hosting

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Migrate to new server

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Gh0s+ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gh0s+ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Migrate to new server
    Posted: 20 January 2024 at 2:13pm
I need to migrate to a new server. Currently on a very old VPS with a shared SQL server plan. Need to migrate to a newer server that will host SQL as well as the web files.

Is there documentation or help that I can get?
I tried cloning the SQL database and modified the database_settings.asp file in the original/active site, to see if I can at least have the data transfer. It's a no go - forum freezes up. Changed the database_settings.asp files settings back to point to original SQL database, and that is working fine, but stuck on the first part - migrating the data.

Running version 12.01.

Gh0s+ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gh0s+ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2024 at 2:18pm
I'm open to migrating the data from MSSQL to MDB if needed (or even possible!), I usually don't have more than 20 users on at the same time.
WebWiz-Bruce View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Web Wiz Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WebWiz-Bruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2024 at 5:11pm
To move the database to the new server create a SQL Server backup, which should be a .bak file which you can then restore to the new server.

I am not sure what you mean by 'freezing up', if you mean the forum didn't load and you eventually got a database connection timeout, make sure that SQL Server is configured in mixed mode with TCP/IP connections enabled so you can connect remotely to SQL Server from your forum.

If you get stuck we do provide Web Wiz Forums hosting with a migration service, see;  www.webwiz.net/web-wiz-forums/forum-hosting.htm
Gh0s+ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gh0s+ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2024 at 5:49pm
Yes, it times out. It looks like the data is already transferred over.
In Sql Server Config Manager > SQL Server Network Config > TCP/IP is enabled.

Is there something else I'm missing?
Gh0s+ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gh0s+ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2024 at 5:56pm
Sql Server Config Manager > SQL Server Network Config > TCP/IP is enabled

TCP/IP Properties > "Protocol" tab > Enabled=Yes, KeepAlive=30000, ListenAll=Yes
TCP/IP Properties > "IP Addresses" tab >  Active=Yes  and  Enabled=Yes

What port do I need to specify for "TCP Dynamic Ports" and "TCP Port"? I tried 1433 but it doesn't work.

Edited by Gh0s+ - 20 January 2024 at 6:02pm
WebWiz-Bruce View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Web Wiz Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WebWiz-Bruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2024 at 9:56am
Under the IP Address Tab make sure that you set 'Active' to 'Yes' for the IP address you are using for SQL Server.

Also check Windows Firewall on the server has TCP port 1433 open.
 Post Reply Post Reply