Web Wiz

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

mySQL upgrading - 500 - Internal server erro

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
slappyJ View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slappyJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: mySQL upgrading - 500 - Internal server erro
    Posted: 07 June 2018 at 11:36pm
Database is mySQL...upgrading from version 11 or somewhere abouts.

I removed all of the files from the Forum folder via FTP. Uploaded all the new files (version 12.01) made the username, password etc., changes to the database_settings.asp file.

When I go to the root /forum i get this error:

500 - Internal server error.

Trying to figure out what I am doing wrong.
WebWiz-Bruce View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Web Wiz Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WebWiz-Bruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2018 at 5:57am
You do not manually make change to the database_settings.asp file.

Instead put back in the un-edited files in the Database folder. Make sure the folder has write permissions, and then go to your forum in your web browser.

This will then start the install/upgrade wizard which will allow you to select the correct database driver, enter your database connections details, and upgrade your forums database to the latest release.

The full details on how to upgrade the mySQL version of Web Wiz Forums can be found on the page below;

slappyJ View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slappyJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2018 at 9:27pm
I deleted all the files and re-uploaded.

I can get as far as the username, password etc., but when I test the server I get the 500 error. I am assuming that I am upgrading from version 11.x but I am not sure. How can I tell what version I was running?

I am using the correct login information. If I go back to the root of the folder (../forum) and try performing the upgrade again I get the 500 error. The only way I can get it to load again is to delete all files through ftp and start over again. But I will always get stuck again on the login information screen.

Admin Group
Admin Group
Web Wiz Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WebWiz-Bruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2018 at 7:57am
Is the upgrade wizard running?

The upgrade wizard does not ask you for your login, it asks for your database connection string. Check with your ISP what the host name, database name, and database login is.

You also need to set write permissions on the forums 'database' folder so that the upgrade wizard can write to the settings files in that folder. 
slappyJ View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slappyJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2018 at 11:01pm
Yes, the upgrade wizard was running...as I said I can only get as far as the database connection string page...when I apply the settings and test I get the 500 error. My forum was running perfectly fine and no settings were changed. I got frustrated and decided to try again fresh tomorrow.

But, now I can't even get the upgrade wizard to start anymore. I have completely removed all files and re-uploaded but when I try to access the root /forum I get nothing but the 500 error every time. I have tried 3 different browsers (removed all browser history, cookies etc.) I used FileZilla FTP and have set the database folder write permissions.

I'm stuck.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Web Wiz Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WebWiz-Bruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2018 at 5:38am
Have your web host enabled detailed error messages for your website and classic ASP.

This will then give a detailed error message instead of the generic 500 message which will tell us exactly what the issue is.
slappyJ View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slappyJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2018 at 2:40am
Host is telling me that ASP is already enabled.

If ASP is enabled shouldn't I already be seeing detailed error messages?

They also told me to enable error logging through .htaccess, php.ini file or Wordpress.

Unless you can offer up another suggestion I have run out of time today and will try again tomorrow.

Thanks
Admin Group
Admin Group
Web Wiz Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WebWiz-Bruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2018 at 9:26am
I think your host has the wrong end of the stick.

You are not asking for Classic ASP to be enabled as it already is, what you need to ask them for is to enable Classic ASP to send error messages to the web browser, and for detailed error messages to be enabled in the Windows IIS web server.

This will allow you to see a detailed error message with the line number etc. instead of the generic 500 error. This detailed error message will point us straight to the issue.

The instructions that they gave to alter the .htaccess file or the PHP.ini file would be for Apache web servers running PHP. Web Wiz Forums does not run on Apache web servers and uses Classic ASP, so this is incorrect information, as you would need to be on a Windows IIS web server to run Web Wiz Forums.

We are primarily a web hosting company, and probably give better support then the one you host provided you. If you moved your website over to us we should be able to get it up and running in minutes.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic