Web Wiz - Solar Powered Eco Web Hosting

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Should I do a join on forum_topics?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Joeee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joeee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Should I do a join on forum_topics?
    Posted: 26 January 2004 at 7:30pm

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to break up the forum_topics.asp page into multiple groups and was hoping for some advice on how to do it most efficiently. Specifically, I want to filter the results of TopicDetialsAll and TopicDetialsInTheLastXX sp's by those questions where the original author is also the last poster on that topic... so, I need to grab and compare the first and last record of everything in the Thread table that meets my topic requirements.

I see 2 ways.

1. Keep the select/stored procedure the way it is and then only show the topics that meet my criteria... or

2. Change the select/stored procedures to only get the records I need.

I'm playing with the 2nd idea now (since it seems the most logical) but I'm worried that the join will slow things down more than the quick data grab and filter concept.

The problem I see with #2 is that I'm turning a simple select on a big table into a many-to-many on 2 (or 3 if I can't figure out a way to stop selecting the thread table against itself) big tables... which could dramatically slow things down...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by Joeee
 Post Reply Post Reply