Web Wiz - Solar Powered Eco Web Hosting

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Site Search application

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jimhoward View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimhoward Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Site Search application
    Posted: 16 February 2003 at 7:11pm

I am using MS FrontPage and when the search results are shown, the htm files in the _vti_cnf folders are listed.

This is a major problem since the files contained in the folders are not REAL htm files, but are files generated by MSFrontPage for control purposes.

Since listing each and every _vti_cnf folder is a real "pain", does anyone  have another suggestion???

Thanks,

Jim Howard

Bunce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bunce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2003 at 5:34am

Well, I'll get in before anyone else does...

Don't use Frontpage!

Edited by Bunce
There have been many, many posts made throughout the world...
This was one of them.
djscout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djscout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2003 at 5:39am

hah, i agree as well.  if there's any way possible not to use it. DONT. it will only cause problems.  Front page is really a pain the the rear when you start to do advanced stuff like this site offers.

heres your frontpage solution.  in the program click:
Insert --> Web Component --> Web Search

That's a built in search engine for your site.

++ jim..
jimhoward View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimhoward Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2003 at 10:02am

OK guys,

Thanks for your responses, but please don't lecture me on whether or not to use MS FrontPage. I have been designing and maintaining web sites for over 8 years and using MS FrontPage vs the "others" is a non-issue with me. MS FrontPage is my primary HTML tool.

As far as the applications available from WebWiz is concerned, I agree that they are GREAT.

Let's remember that ASP is a Microsoft technology and does fit in quite well with all MS Products, including MS FrontPage.

Bunce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bunce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2003 at 4:15pm

Jim.

If you ever want to get into some slightly more advanced ASP stuff, then Frontpage is a pain in the ass. If you're using the WYSWIG editor then it produces bloated, innefficient code which doesn't help anyone with learning the language.

Even worse it can change existing code!  which has to be the worst feature around, as well as the issue you've encountered.

I respect your opinion to work with what you choose, however after 8 years there have been many, many competitors overtake Frontpage (of which a number are free) and you'll find that as you hang around development forums like this one that FP has a shocking reputation, even from MS enthusiats like me!!

Anyway, my 2 cents. Good luck with your application.

Cheers,
Andrew

There have been many, many posts made throughout the world...
This was one of them.
 Post Reply Post Reply