Web Wiz - Solar Powered Eco Web Hosting

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Trying Database Tuturial

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Nerz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nerz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trying Database Tuturial
    Posted: 23 June 2008 at 6:16pm
I'm trying to learn how to do some database manipulation for school using ASP. However when i go to this Web Wiz's tuturial (http://www.webwiz.net/kb/asp_tutorials/updating_data_from_database.asp)
and try some of the examples such as the update form i get errors such as...

The page cannot be displayed

There is a problem with the page you are trying to reach and it cannot be displayed.

Please try the following:

• Click the Refresh button, or try again later.
  • Open the localhost home page, and then look for links to the information you want.

HTTP 500.100 - Internal Server Error - ASP error
Internet Information Services

Technical Information (for support personnel)

• Error Type:
    ADODB.Field (0x80020009)
    Either BOF or EOF is True, or the current record has been deleted. Requested operation requires a current record.
    /update_form.asp

• Browser Type:
    Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; InfoPath.1)

• Page:
    GET /update_form.asp

• Time:
    Monday, June 23, 2008, 12:13:50 PM

• More information:
    Microsoft Support

Also did this on trying to create a virtual directory shown by...

im using http://localhost/update_form.asp and also going to the iis manager and clicking browse to try and test. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
jamie.townsend View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamie.townsend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2008 at 7:32am
Well, the error message BOF or EOF means that the database can not find or there is a problem with the record you are trying to update.

How are you passing the id of the record you are trying to update ?
Also what is the code on the line where the error is as that will tell me what PK you should be passing to the update_form.asp page.
Nerz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nerz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2008 at 4:48pm
Thank you for the help.
I got everything including the asp code and database from http://downloads.webwiz.net/asp_tutorials/database_turorials.zip
If you don't feel like DLin and want to view the code please let me know
I'm trying to get a understanding to manipulate a database for a school project. However, if i can't understand a basic example it's gonna be extremely hard.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamie.townsend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2008 at 4:56pm
That should work out of the box without you needing to do anything.
Are you building this locally or do you have a copy online for me to look at ?

Can you view "guestbook.asp" ?
Nerz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nerz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2008 at 12:16am
I'm doin it locally by putting the asp/html codes in the 'c:\inetpud\wwwroot' folder. I can view some of the pages such as...
delete_select.asp and it works by deleting the items.
guestbook.asp does show the DB in text from.
guestbook_form.htm shows but it does not add to the DB like it is suppose to. only adds an empty slot in the DB.
and update_select.asp shows but does not update. as soon as it hits the update button it goes to an error like posted before
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamie.townsend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2008 at 10:56am
I have just had a look at this and you should be using update_select.asp to select the news item you want to edit first and that will then take you to the update part.
Nerz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nerz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2008 at 3:56pm
Ok when i do it that way, which is a hyperlink to a form where i can change the name and comments. when i hit submit it gives this error...

Technical Information (for support personnel)

• Error Type:
    Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers (0x80004005)
    [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Cannot update. Database or object is read-only.
    /update_entry.asp, line 90

• Browser Type:
    Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; InfoPath.2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727)

• Page:
    POST 56 bytes to /update_entry.asp

• POST Data:
    name=Dave&comments=Test+guest+book&ID_no=3&Submit=Submit

• Time:
    Wednesday, June 25, 2008, 9:47:50 AM

• More information:
    Microsoft Support .
WebWiz-Bruce View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Web Wiz Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WebWiz-Bruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2008 at 3:57pm
This error means that you do not have the correct permissions set to be able to write to the database. See the page below on setting permissions:-

http://www.webwiz.net/kb/asp_knowledgebase/access_database_errors.asp
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>