Web Wiz - Solar Powered Eco Web Hosting

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFTP Hassles

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Bunce View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2003 at 8:52pm

SmartFTP is excellent, but different FTP's won't necessarily solve the problem.

If you have access denied then either there ARE remaining files in the folder or you don't have permissions to delete it, or some other process is still running that is linked to that particuar folder.

Just because you can't see the files doesn't meen they are not there. There are most probably hidden files in the directory (such as Frontpage Extension files (_vti8)) that you will need to remove first.

Additionally there should be settings in your FTP agent that will give you the ability to view hidden files.

That said, if you do have frontpage extensions installed on your site, then you shouldn't be using FTP to access it.

Cheers,
Andrew

There have been many, many posts made throughout the world...
This was one of them.
Stevo View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2003 at 9:45pm

Hi all,

Let me just give a big hearty thankyou to all that have helped with the problem.  The problem is now fixed (either thru time, my isp, or some unknown force), the site is up, and i want to go home and have some very nice scotch (15 yo, im thinking).

So thankyou very much for your help (and Bunce, im even willing to waive the mandatory offence at the suggestion that i use frontpage - I hope i didn't sound that clueless  !!)

Thanks again,
Steve

Bunce View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2003 at 10:56pm

lol.

The Frontpage editor and Frontpage extensions are two different things.

Frontpage extensions are often made available by hosts on their clients' sites. This creates numerous 'hidden' files in all directories to keep track of what files have changed.

You don't need the editor to use Frontpage extensions.

Cheers,
Andrew

There have been many, many posts made throughout the world...
This was one of them.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12