Topic ClosedWeb Wiz Forums version 9 Live Demo - Event Date: 14 June 2007

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 161718
Author
WebWiz-Bruce View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Web Wiz Developer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2007 at 3:01pm
Web Wiz Forums is written in ASP, not ASP.NET, so not quite sure what you are referring to.

This site today had it's database upgraded to make it compatible with version 9 while version 8 was still running without any problems.
billd3 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2007 at 3:15pm
Hmmm, yes, I need to clarify.
Our current host also supports ASP.NET with the package we bought, so asp.net support was there and running, however, the forums and the simple web pages I create are the old asp, plain old asp.
So, to reduce the load, the tech removed asp.net support from our hosting, freeing up server memory (application pool memory) since we are not yet using asp.net for anything.

I asked what will that do to us in the future, say we did upgrade to use asp.net later, say the forums would use asp.net at some point, etc.
He said no problem. ASP.NET is better behaved, fewer memory problems, AND he said asp.net database apps keep the session info in the database, not in the application pool memory.
Interesting since I edited that file to make our WWF use the SQL database for session info - I changed the false to true.
So am I not already using the database for sessions info?
He said that was better, and ASP.NET did things that way, making it better on the server.
So we're already doing that, right? By changing that false to true, the forums right now then put session info into the sql database?
He said that was the asp.net way to do things.

the wwf forum version 9.0 - uses asp.net? Completely? No legacy asp?
Or - not yet?
BillD
http://theamcpages.com
http://theamcforum.com
Admin Group
Admin Group
Web Wiz Developer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2007 at 3:48pm
Web Wiz Forums version 9 is written in ASP, not ASP.NET.

An ASP.NET version will be at least 2 years off as it will take around 5,000 + development hours to write.

I think that your host has miss informed you and is incorrect on storing the Web Wiz Forums session in the database as Web Wiz Forums uses it's own proprietary session and caching features to further boost performance and security.

The Web Wiz Forums session is constantly being updated, which is quite easy as it's a tiny amount of data (less than 250 characters) stored in the web servers memory, no objects to load up, no disk access, just nice quick and easy, and as we all know from computers having something in a computers memory is very quickly accessible.

If you store the web wiz forums session data in the database it means as many as 5 to 10 more database hits per page, this means 10 times of the list below:-

1. A database object needs to be created and loaded into memory
2. A recordset object needs to be created and loaded into memory
3. A connection needs to be made to the database server, placing extra load on the network
4. An SQL query must be passed to the database
5. The database management system then needs to look at the query and decide what needs to be done (any database locks etc)
6. The database management system reads in the data from disk
5. The data is then sent back across the network to the web server
6. The data is placed into a memory intensive recordset object from were it is processed
7. Data is then sent back to the database
8. The database database management system locks the database (whic is very intensive task, locking all other users out of the table while the update takes place)
9. The data is saved to disk
10. The database connection is closed and the objects released from memory pool ready for the next connection

This is just a quick and simple explaination, but as you can see this would put allot of extra load on the web and database server as well and slow down your forum.

The option to save session data was only added as a last ditch resort for those that have no other choice.

Edited by -boRg- - 11 July 2007 at 4:00pm
billd3 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2007 at 4:17pm
Thanks for the explanation.
I DID edit that string on the file to use the database as shown in a message on the support forums here - in an attempt to put a halt to the constant logouts and the user data not being correct. So if that file and string works, we are using the database to store sessions.
You are saying I should probably put it back to "false" again and see?

'Set this to true if you wish to store user tracking/session data in the database and not in an application level array
'You may need to set this to 'True' if you are expericing login/session issues, or using a web garden or multiple load balanced web servers
'By using the database to store tracking/session data (set to 'True') will slow performance, course more database hits, and may course database corruption issues if using MS Access

Const blnDatabaseHeldSessions = True

BillD
http://theamcpages.com
http://theamcforum.com
Admin Group
Admin Group
Web Wiz Developer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2007 at 4:24pm
Yes you should set it to False
MortiOli View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2007 at 1:11pm
Borg, I'm getting some images on the forum which are showing as oversized, and also some where the png's aren't lined up over the top of each other.  However, next refresh they're normal.  Happens a couple of times when browsing the forums.

XP - IE 6
Admin Group
Admin Group
Web Wiz Developer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2007 at 1:26pm
Thats because Microsoft were 12 years behind on implementing support for PNG's alpha transparency and only finally did so in IE 7.

IE 6 is an awful browser, and the forums look will degrade to work with IE 6 but it won't look as good in IE 6 as IE 7 or other browsers like Firefox, Safari, Netscape, etc.

To get PNG's with alpha transparency to work in IE 6 have had to use a bit of a hack, which can sometimes course PNG images to display incorrectly with some versions of IE 6 when first loaded, but usually fixed by doing a quick refresh.

My best advice is upgrade to IE 7 or use another browser as IE 6 has always sucked and is possibly one of the worse browsers ever conceived, along with IE 5.

Edited by -boRg- - 12 July 2007 at 1:30pm
Admin Group
Admin Group
Web Wiz Developer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2007 at 1:47pm
Web Wiz Forums version 9 beta 1 will be released later today.

For more information please see;

Welcome to Web Wiz Forums version 9

This topic will now be closed.

Edited by -boRg- - 12 July 2007 at 2:00pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 161718